YIPPEE! Met with lawyer today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YIPPEE! Met with lawyer today!

Finally got all our paperwork together and met with our lawyer. We originally were going to file a Chapter 13 since our last lawyer said we couldn't file for a 7 because our income was too high. Thanks to you guys, I read here that is not always the case. So, I asked the new lawyer about it and he sat down at his desk and said, "well, let's see". 45 minutes later, he smiles and goes, "You got a 7 guys!" Woo-hooooo!!!

The only glitch is that he's not filing today because we needed to have less than $600 in our checking account. Our rent check hasn't cleared yet and he wanted that out of our bank account before he went to the court. But we signed everything and I just need to call him when the rent check clears and give him a screen print of our balance and he will file.

I can't tell you how relieved I am - I was dreading a Chapter 13. For us, it was simply a matter of being over the median income. We had no house or assets to protect. It KILLED me to think we would have to pay for 60 months and not get very far ahead.

Congrats on making it a 7! We thought we would be stuck in a 13 also, but our lawyer got us a 7. Good luck on your bk journey and your fresh start!!!

Comment

Yes, chapter 13 is so hard on many and many do not have the option you came up with.
      Congrats indeed!

Comment

Sometimes it pays to find a new lawyer! Congratulations.
        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
        Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Congrats! I'm in a similar situation, myself...

Comment

Gives me hope. We meet with our chosen attorney next week to start the ball rolling after years of denial. We are above the median, but based on my calculations I think we can qualify for a 7. Great to hear others above the median qualifying.
            10/14/2009 Retained Attorney
            12/17/2009 filed chapter 7!!
            1/20/2010 341 meeting
            3/29/2010 changed to asset case

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X