Debt sold to Collection Agency as we filed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debt sold to Collection Agency as we filed

My wife and I filed chapter 7 on 9/11 and tomorrow is our 341 meeting. Today we received a letter from a collection agency about a debt that was included in the filing however the debt was from the hospital we originally filed on and not the collection agency that's now trying to collect. Had we known that the debt had been sold then we would have included that agency in our filing.
    So now what do we do? We don't want a collection agency trying to collect a debt that we cannot afford right now, that would ruin the whole purpose of filing. Please help

You can either send a notice of the BK to the CA or include them as a creditor for 26.00 filing fee. Better to spend the money to make sure anyone who thinks you owe them money is included.
    7-2-2009 Filed
    8-28-09 341 Concluded, no assets
    10-28-09 DISCHARGED/CLOSED!!!!

Comment

Well, better safe then sorry. What form(s) do I need to fill out to get them added? We'll be going down to the court tomorrow for the 341 so we can file it before we go into the meeting I assume?

Comment

I wouldnt even spend the $ if you need to save it...the original credit is notified, they will/should notify the new collection agency...they cannot come after you regardless once you file since a stay is in place...once discharged, you dont have to worry about that debt since the original creditor was notified..
        Filed Ch 7 9/28/09
        341 Meeting 10/22/09 (Went well)
        Discharged 12/22/2009!

Comment

Originally posted by Sham11801 View Post
          I wouldnt even spend the $ if you need to save it...the original credit is notified, they will/should notify the new collection agency...they cannot come after you regardless once you file since a stay is in place...once discharged, you dont have to worry about that debt since the original creditor was notified..
          So I should just contact the original creditor (the hospital) and make sure they have the paperwork and also the CA to see if they have the info? I don't mind doing both to make sure that everything is going to be good, I just want to make sure that everything is clean when this is over and done with. I want that fresh start and a chance to make things better.

Comment

You don't even have to bother with the CA as long as you included the original creditor (the hospital) on your matrix. When you are discharged and the CA calls (if they call), all you need to do is send them a copy of your discharge letter.

P.S. I just reread your post, the collection agency is in violation of the automatic stay by contacting you!! I would definately contact them and let them know this!!
            May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
            May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
            May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
            9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by liz417 View Post
              You don't even have to bother with the CA as long as you included the original creditor (the hospital) on your matrix. When you are discharged and the CA calls (if they call), all you need to do is send them a copy of your discharge letter.
              Hmmm... I may call the CA just to make sure they have the info. I know for a fact that the hospital does have it because I called them about a bill I received a week after the filing and they advised they did have the paperwork. Now I wonder if it was sold after they received notice of my filing.

Comment

Originally posted by Draky View Post
                Hmmm... I may call the CA just to make sure they have the info. I know for a fact that the hospital does have it because I called them about a bill I received a week after the filing and they advised they did have the paperwork. Now I wonder if it was sold after they received notice of my filing.
                Probably...some of my credit card debt was sold off to bottom-feeder collection agencies before I filed for BK. There were so many, I lost count, so I just listed the Original Creditors and the "last know CA" on my Matrix and was done with it.

As I stated in my previous post (added later), this collection agency is VIOLATING the automatic stay...they could be fined! I would call and let them know this ASAP!!
                May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
                May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
                May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
                9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Draky View Post
                  My wife and I filed chapter 7 on 9/11 and tomorrow is our 341 meeting. Today we received a letter from a collection agency about a debt that was included in the filing however the debt was from the hospital we originally filed on and not the collection agency that's now trying to collect. Had we known that the debt had been sold then we would have included that agency in our filing.
                  So now what do we do? We don't want a collection agency trying to collect a debt that we cannot afford right now, that would ruin the whole purpose of filing. Please help
                  you can ammend your filing to include them.. But either way, you've listed the orginal debt -which should cover you.
                  Filed Pro Se: 10/16/2009
                  341 Scheduled: 11/23/2009
                  Last Day for Objections: 1/22/2010
                  Discharged: 1/28/2010

Comment

I had a couple like that and sent a certified letter (return receipt) advising them that I had filed Ch7 (Case No XXX) and the debt is included. Never heard a word and they were not ever listed on my credit report. Don't waste $26 to ammend the schedules.
                    Filed Ch7 5/28/09 (Pro Se) Orlando, 341 7/01, UST selected case for audit 7/01, Last day for objection 8/31. Audit report filed 9/10, no material misstatements. Discharged and closed 9/22/2009

Comment

I have had the hospital call and we filed over a month ago. I know they were notified, but this hospital within the last 1.5 years has gone through out-sourcing their billing. Since I have heard stories of not getting bills for months then being sent to collection, and bills being wrong or being paid and showing due I am not really worried. I use to work for them and know people still from that old department. They have told me the dope on the billing over there. Hospitals are famous for not being good at paperwork, and they refuse to pay decent enough to admin staff to get people to stay. Yet they will pay nurses and LICENSED staff a ton to keep them. They seem to miss the fact that billing makes you or breaks you too.

Comment

The OC should notify the CA. The CA should pull it up on pacer and act accordingly. It's really not your problem anymore provided the OC was listed.
                        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                        Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by momisery View Post
                          I have had the hospital call and we filed over a month ago. I know they were notified, but this hospital within the last 1.5 years has gone through out-sourcing their billing. Since I have heard stories of not getting bills for months then being sent to collection, and bills being wrong or being paid and showing due I am not really worried. I use to work for them and know people still from that old department. They have told me the dope on the billing over there. Hospitals are famous for not being good at paperwork, and they refuse to pay decent enough to admin staff to get people to stay. Yet they will pay nurses and LICENSED staff a ton to keep them. They seem to miss the fact that billing makes you or breaks you too.
                          Obama's going to fix this for us. He'll run it just like Medicare.
                          Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X