Can I be charged a late fee before I reaffimed a debt in Chapter 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I be charged a late fee before I reaffimed a debt in Chapter 7

I made a payment to my mortgage on 9/19 not due until 9/20. I got charged a late fee. Can they even charge late fees period prior to reaffirmation?

I'd contact them and ask why they charged a late fee to begin with. It just may be a mistake.

Comment

Yes I plan to but I was also wondering if there was a rule about late fees prior to reaffirmation and/or discharge of debt. This way if they refuse I have a second route to take.

Comment

That was after discharge, right?

Now, leaving out the fact that you shouldn't have been charged in the first place, I'd say yes.

The contractual agreement is still the same - just with no personal liability for you. But that's just my opinion, not 100% sure on that.
        Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
        FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
        FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

No we haven't been discharged yet. We hadn't even filed our reaffirmation agreement at that point

Comment

Originally posted by sherrenee View Post
            No we haven't been discharged yet. We hadn't even filed our reaffirmation agreement at that point
            Why do you want to sign a reaffirmation agreement in the first place? If you can handle the payments and are current, there's absolutely no need to...
            Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
            FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
            FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X