Can I start saving now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I start saving now?

So we're officially filed as of the 14th. We got paid on the 15th. Can I start building an emergency fund now or do I still need to find creative ways to spend the money on necessities?
    Filed Ch7 10/14/09 - 341 11/23/09
    Last day for objections 1/22/2010
    Discharged!!! 1/25/2010
    Closed! 1/28/2010

Sometimes the trustee asks for your bank balance on the day of your 341. This varies by trustee and by district. I would wait to build extensive savings until after your 341.
    You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
      Sometimes the trustee asks for your bank balance on the day of your 341. This varies by trustee and by district. I would wait to build extensive savings until after your 341.
      Ok, thanks! I can do that. I mean our meeting will be in a few weeks so I'm sure I can hold off until then
      Discharged!!! 1/25/2010
      Closed! 1/28/2010

Comment

There are better ways to "save" than money, that is legal and exempt. Purchase storable foods ahead. You hedge on inflation and have it in an emergency of any kind. Survival stuff as candles and batteries as well as blankets and clothes ahead as they do wear out.
        It's all in how you define an emergency savings. 'Hub
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
          There are better ways to "save" than money, that is legal and exempt. Purchase storable foods ahead. You hedge on inflation and have it in an emergency of any kind. Survival stuff as candles and batteries as well as blankets and clothes ahead as they do wear out.
          It's all in how you define an emergency savings. 'Hub
          If their car breaks down in the near future, can they pay the mechanic with storable foods? I think the OP wants to saves funds for unexpected emergencies.
          Stopped Payings CC's: 8/14/2009 | Retained Attorney: 9/23/2009 | Filed CH 7: 12/7/2009 | 341 Meeting: 1/21/2010 - Complete | Discharged: 4/9/2010
          "One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth."

Comment

You can put a little away, but remember the UST sometimes asks for bank statements up to the 341 meeting like they did with me. The trustee just wanted through day of filing. If you have room under any exemptions you can put that amount away I reckon.
            7-2-2009 Filed
            8-28-09 341 Concluded, no assets
            10-28-09 DISCHARGED/CLOSED!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LimpDisc View Post
              If their car breaks down in the near future, can they pay the mechanic with storable foods? I think the OP wants to saves funds for unexpected emergencies.
              I'm surprised 'Hub didn't mention the emergency $100.00 bill.

We each keep a $100.00 bill folded up and hidden in our wallets. This is to be forgotten about unless it is a dire emergency. I have related elsewhere where we broke down on I-26 in the Smokey Mountains--right in one of the most dangerous parts. The only way off the mountain was a roll-back driver who didn't take plastic or checks.
              "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
                I'm surprised 'Hub didn't mention the emergency $100.00 bill.

We each keep a $100.00 bill folded up and hidden in our wallets. This is to be forgotten about unless it is a dire emergency. I have related elsewhere where we broke down on I-26 in the Smokey Mountains--right in one of the most dangerous parts. The only way off the mountain was a roll-back driver who didn't take plastic or checks.
                But what if the UST or TT or whoever wants to know why I had 2 $100 cash withdraws?
                Discharged!!! 1/25/2010
                Closed! 1/28/2010

Comment

Originally posted by LimpDisc View Post
                  Exactly. I have no intention on ever depending on credit again and I know it's VERY important to have an emergency fund in the savings acct. I want to make sure I have that as soon as possible of course ;)
                  Discharged!!! 1/25/2010
                  Closed! 1/28/2010

Comment

Originally posted by readytofile View Post
                    But what if the UST or TT or whoever wants to know why I had 2 $100 cash withdraws?
                    You paid bills with it! They do NOT dissect your bank account! You are allowed to withdraw cash. After all, you might have to buy a money order with it.

As long as your income and outgo in your checking account is consistant, you won't have a problem. This is exactly why everyone is asked for the past six months of bank statements.

Comment

Ah ok. I've read before people saying if you take cash to have receipts for what you bought with it. I just don't want to cause any suspicions to delay anything. I'm sooooo ready to get all this over with, ya know?
                      Discharged!!! 1/25/2010
                      Closed! 1/28/2010

Comment

Exactly. I have no intention on ever depending on credit again and I know it's VERY important to have an emergency fund in the savings acct. I want to make sure I have that as soon as possible of course ;)
                        Well, I tried to answer your question; you want to save a lot of money, that at this time is risky, as 'AngelinaCat' said, keep your cash flow even at this time. If you succeed in collecting above $600 the Trustee sees an excess of funds and can call it an asset, stick 30 more days upon you and as we, an asset case, are still not closed after a year.

My suggestion was store up your exempted need for the future. The worse that can happen is you beat inflation. Stow your hundred dollar bill for emergency towing service. Put a reasonable amount in the bank for tire repairs or the like.

Making a very large account is very practical and everyone should have three to six months money saved in the event of job loss. But, everyone else is not in Chapter 7. This is only one persons opinion, and suggestion. You don't have to take it. 'Hub
                        Last edited by AngelinaCatHub; 10-17-2009, 07:02 PM.
                        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                          Well, I tried to answer your question; you want to save a lot of money, that at this time is risky, as 'AngelinaCat' said, keep your cash flow even at this time. If you succeed in collecting above $600 the Trustee sees an excess of funds and can call it an asset, stick 30 more days upon you and as we, an asset case, are still not closed after a year. My suggestion was store up your exempted need for the future. The worse that can happen is you beat inflation. Stow your hundred dollar bill for emergency towing service. Put a reasonable amount in the bank for tire repairs or the like. Making a very large account is very practical and everyone should have three to six months money saved in the event of job loss. But, everyone else is not in Chapter 7. This is only on persons opinion, and suggestion. You don't have to take it. 'Hub
                          Thanks for the explanation. That makes perfect sense. I don't have THAT much extra money that we'd have a whole bunch in the savings by the time of the 341. Just walking on eggshells trying not to make anything difficult on myself ;)
                          Discharged!!! 1/25/2010
                          Closed! 1/28/2010

Comment

Ah ok. I've read before people saying if you take cash to have receipts for what you bought with it. I just don't want to cause any suspicions to delay anything. I'm sooooo ready to get all this over with, ya know?
                            That was for large amounts of cash. $200.00 is not large. If you feel better about it, draw $100.00 one week then $100.00, the next week. You will get that money in the form of $10.00s or $20.00s if you use an ATM. Take that money to the local food store and change the small bills for a $100.00 bill. Why? It is harder to spend on friviolous stuff and easier to fold up and put away.

If you deal with a local bank or CU, then get the bill in hand.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. That makes perfect sense. I don't have THAT much extra money that we'd have a whole bunch in the savings by the time of the 341. Just walking on eggshells trying not to make anything difficult on myself ;)
                              I understand completely. We have been there. Remember, "the worry over little things multiplies into one big worry over everything". You are fretting too much at this time. Relax, take a bubble bath with candles, a bit of red wine and a good sleep. Things are going to be OK. 'Hub

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X