Moving on...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving on...

I'm three weeks from discharge and the entire exprience has been quite anti-climactic. I guess it's just another reminder that sometimes I believe I'm more important than I really am. The banks don't care, and life goes on. The phone stopped ringing, no threatening letters have arrived, no Spanish Inquisition...

The 341 was a cakewalk. Oh sure, I obsessed just like everyone else. Three copies of a year's worth of bank statments, W-2's, tax returns, I was sure the TT would tear me a new one for buying my son a pair of shoes. And nothing happened. The 341 was quick, easy, and I had a drink afterward just to calm down. It was TOO easy.

And the weeks have dragged on, I continue to check my case every couple days, and, lo and behold, NOTHING. The clock ticks, almost silently, but irreversably toward DISCHARGE. Nothing can stop it, and nothing seems to want to.

Once again, I believed myself to be much more important than I really am. The lawyers didn't come running with allegations of fraud or sales pitches for reaffirmations...it's pretty clear that life is just going on. And on...

So for those of you just starting out, I offer this: congratulations. Bravo for facing your worst fears. And I'm the first to tell you there's no boogeyman in the closet, there's no headless horseman, there's no angry mob awaiting your arrival in the land of BANKRUPTCY. The greatest judgements you will most likely have to overcome are your own.

So calm down, take an honest look at your life. Align your priorites and vow never to travel this road again, but recognize the wisdom you've achieved by walking it yourself.

God Bless America, the land of second chances.
    Filed Chapter 7 08/06/09, unsecured debt of $109,000
    341 Meeting 09/09/09
    Discharged 11/12/09
    Closed 12/14/09

Great advice, thank you!

Yes, I know my case has also been very undramatic.

It is pretty clear I own virtually nothing, make under 40K, and owe a pretty hefty non dischargable student loan to boot.

When I look at my own "totality of circumstances", I have probably been pretty silly thinking anyone would actually give a rip about my BK.

I am starting to think that a lot of times, even these attorneys that are scaring people to bits about marginal disposible income and documentation are just trying to make 100%sure there is no issue at all with the trustees-it so often amounts to much of nothing.

I have read about cases here and elsewhere that if I were the trustee, I think I would balk and they end up getting 7's! Shows what I know.

So, yes I agree with you. Let's all calm down.
    Filed: 9/9/2009
    341: 10/13, went well!
    Discharged 12/17/2009

Comment

HaHa! I agree with you about this whole process being anti-climactic, I guess I'm just as "unimportant" as you I too was overly prepared, waiting for creditors to object, organized receipts for the past year....and....nothing was asked/questioned....hmmmm.

I agree that 'newbies' must not let their fears get the best of them...we all need to calm down and "just go through the process"....
      May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
      May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
      May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
      9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Great post! I'm right along with you. I was so sure the UST was going to come after us! My attorney kept telling me he was afraid the 341 was going to be a let down. It was.

We are 75 days post 341 and waiting for our discharge. Check Pacer a few times a day and nothing new!

Thanks again for the post.
        Filed Chapter 7: 7/3/09
        341 Hearing: 8/6/09 - Went Smoothly!
        Discharged: 11/30/2009
        Closed: 12/16/2009

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'm truly blessed and grateful for the help, advice and support constantly offered here. Congratulations on your inevitable discharge 2manybills. I know your neck of the woods is EXTREMELY backed up.
          Filed Chapter 7 08/06/09, unsecured debt of $109,000
          341 Meeting 09/09/09
          Discharged 11/12/09
          Closed 12/14/09

Comment

I've been feeling a similar reaction -- I wouldn't call it "relief" or "disappointment," but more of a realization that life goes on for everyone. My "day 60" is tomorrow and I've heard nothing whatsoever since my 341. No one is throwing me a "discharge party" and no one is knocking on my door to secure any of my assets.

Like many, I was convinced that I'd left some "i" un-dotted or "t" un-crossed and that the faceless BK Police would show up at my house some day...

Alas, it was not to be. In fact, in a show that life is returning to some level of normalcy, I've received two "pre-approved" credit card offers in the last two weeks -- the first in almost a year.

I agree with the others who have said to just try to remain calm, have your ducks in a row, and this, too, shall pass.
            Filed Chapter 7 - 7/8/09
            341 - 8/24/09
            Discharged - 11/3/09
            Closed - 12/10/09

Comment

Originally posted by killinstinct View Post

God Bless America, the land of second chances.
              I love that sentence.
              All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
              Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Yes, God Bless America, the land of second chances! Not all countries provide such a security and protection for their residents.

If I'm not mistaken, Russia, just this year, created a law allowing individual bankruptcies -- before only business debt would be allowed to be discharged and there was not many businesses that could obtain loans or lines of credit. I know many are frustrated and upset and have a feeling of failure because of the BK in their life but I think we shouldn't, we shouldn't be upset but thankful that we have the chance of course, there are those that abuse the bankruptcy law and that part is not good...

Anyways, I am 18 days from my discharge (last day for objections but I guess it is the same) and I think my decision to file is a much better decision than the decisions to apply for debt I've made before. I also hope for not surprises with the next weeks but when I reach my discharge I will finally again be debt free, I will know that my life is again manageable and won't depend on having high enough credit score to obtain a loan, loan modification to be able to afford a place to live, and so on. Savings and planning ahead is the new credit
                Filed CH7 on Aug-06-2009 -- DONE!
                341 meeting on Oct-01-2009 -- DONE!
                Discharged on Nov-12-2009 -- DONE!
                Case Closed on Jun-15-2010 -- DONE!

Comment

I called my attorney today to ask if it was OK if my expenses changed pre-discharge (and post 341, or course!). I am changing my auto and medical insurance These were his words:

"Change whatever you like in expenses, make as much as you want. Unless you get an iheritance or win a lottery, no one cares about your finances any longer".

He said that in the highly, highly unlikely event that any questions arose prior to the discharge, they would be regarding items prior to the filing and nothing to do with anything after. The last they care about income or expenses other than the aformentioned is the bank statements showing the date of filing, and the "most recent paystub" you bring to the 341 here. Which they are mostly looking at to make sure you did not get a job last week making 110K.
                  Filed: 9/9/2009
                  341: 10/13, went well!
                  Discharged 12/17/2009

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X