Big Tax Refund

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Tax Refund

This year we got a 9,000 tax refund due to special needs adoption of 2 children. The money went for odds and ends and we had to install new flooring in the house and replace the water heater and some toilets. I know the trustee will ask what happened to that money as we had stopped paying CC's and were using a debt settlement company. I guess I could show him what we were paying to them.....?????

What is your question?
    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

He probably will ask. Did you keep all your receipts?
      4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
      5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
      7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
      7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

I have the receipt for the new flooring and the bathroom and water heater work. I can account for about 5500 of it and the rest was just used on odds and ends. No way to prove all that I guess..What would a trustee normally do in a case like this?

Comment

Originally posted by jwdad View Post
          I have the receipt for the new flooring and the bathroom and water heater work. I can account for about 5500 of it and the rest was just used on odds and ends. No way to prove all that I guess..What would a trustee normally do in a case like this?
          You might want to account for that $3,500 odds and ends.
          Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by jwdad View Post
            From what I have gathered from reading here and other places, most of the time it depends on the situation. If you were already in financial trouble and knew there was a possibility you could be filing bk in the future there could be an issue. If you were in no financial difficulty and spent the money in the normal course of business and had a job loss or incident later there will probably not be a presumption of abuse. However you stated that you were already using a debt settlement company, this may not set well with the trustee, you may want to wait till its a year out to file or come up with the rest of the receipts. I am in a similar situation and my attorney says I will be fine as I received the money and spent it( although it wasn't a tax refund), before an unexpected job loss. Thats the best answer I have
            Discharged 1-25-10

Comment

Perhaps you could go through your bank statements and reconstruct how the monies were spent. If you took it out in cash or via ATM or debit card you really might be able to figure out how it was used. Odds and ends--movies, gas,groceries, medicine. If you used a debit card then most of your bank statements should have a record of the store or place you spent at. Cash is harder to remember how spent. It's a pain to reconstruct, yet, it might be helpful for your BK.
              Filed Chapter 7 August 18,2009
              341 scheduled for Oct 7, 2009--DONE!
              Report of No Distribution Oct 8, 2009
              Discharged & Closed Dec. 14, 2009

Comment

On the bankruptcy forms it has a spot to put how much u paid for debt counceling ect..I put on mine the amount I paid to the "scumbag" debt settlement guys. (it makes me feel better when I call them names . I hope the trustee goes after them for the money. I already have the Attorney Generals office in my state looking into it for me... Its probally all in vain but at least I am trying ....
                Oh by the way I am filing a 13 and it was on that form , not sure about a 7...
                Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones
                Chapter 13 filed 10-21-09
                Discharged 4-13-15

Comment

I am thinking I will be okay on this. I have to replace our flooring in our house and that ran 4500. IT was in bad shape and we removed the carpet and went with a cheaper laminate since my wife has asthma, 2900 went to debt settlement company that did almost nothing for us and the rest I helped my unemployed son and his pregnant wife with some walmart trips for food etc. We also settled a 1,000 debt in the first 3 months of this year.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X