Need advice regarding my previous spending of severance pay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice regarding my previous spending of severance pay

I've been learning a lot reading here. Now I see potential problems lol.

In March 2009 I was laid off. In April I received a $17k severance check.

I put it in my wife's bank account, thinking we could use it for a down payment on an inexpensive home, and then sell our current home.

We couldn't qualify for a mortgage until our current home was sold, even though we had done this same thing twice previously (when we were both working).

So I decided to use the $17k to pay the combination of our bills that had the highest monthly payments. I paid off 3 of my wife's bills and saved $800 a month.

Now it's November and I'm getting closer to filing for Chapter 7. I don't want the trustee to take back the $17k and use it to pay my current creditors.

Any advice?
    Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

when did you take the 17k out and pay those other bills?
    Filed 7/14/11....341 date is 8/23/11

Comment

I took the $17k out and paid those bills in April 2009.

Comment

You will have to wait about three to six months to file after paying the other creditors (unless they were family members in which case you would wait a year)

A preferential payment would not affect you though in theory. The trustee goes after the creditor for the money, not you.
        You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

ok, thanks backtoschool. In theory it wouldn't affect me, but in reality what affects my wife, affects me lol.

My wife is the sole breadwinner for the time being, and I don't want to add more stress in her life by having her creditors that were paid off in April all of a sudden contacting her because they're her creditors again.

Trying to do upfront planning now to avoid adding stress to both of our lives in the future.

It's a relief knowing there are so many knowledgeable people on the forum who can give real-life advice.

Comment

What backtoschool is saying is that if the trustee went after a creditor for preferential payment, it wouldn't affect your or your wife at all. That is strictly between the trustee and creditor, and once the trustee re-claims the preferential payments, the creditor cannot come after you for the reclaimed payments.
            Filed Ch 7 - 07/10/08
            341 Meeting - 08/13/08
            DISCHARGED! - 10/15/08
            CLOSED - 10/20/08

Comment

ok, thanks lauranmn. My wife won't be filing Chapter 7, only me. I should have mentioned that originally

Comment

Originally posted by keepinitreal View Post
                ok, thanks lauranmn. My wife won't be filing Chapter 7, only me. I should have mentioned that originally
                So, did you give a chunk of money to your wife and then your wife paid creditors with it?

In that case you would have to wait a year from giving her the money to file since that would be seen as a preferential payment between you and your wife. It is possible the trustee could go after your wife for that money if you both are not filing.
                You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X