New here, took the first step

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here, took the first step

Greetings all! First I would like to say I have learned so much from this forum, more than any other. Thank you all!

We have taken the first step and retained an attorney yesterday. Talk about anxiety making that call for the consultation, but what a positive feeling after I did. No idea why I was putting that off... This forum helped us get the ball rolling.

Our background: Owned a small business in another state which was tied to real estate. The market went belly up and so did we. Our debt is primarily consumer with some personal guarantee liability for business debts. (Service based business) Debt is just over 200K total which has almost doubled since the default dates. We've got the typical creditors and some of the bad JDB's too.

We moved in early '07 out of state and at that time quit paying everything. No other choice. Lots of collection letters (retained a UPS Store mailbox w/ forwarding until this May) but no calls except for the few to relatives.

I can't believe we have not been sued. We have not been hiding at all, but we have not applied for or had our credit pulled either in 2 years.

I have to say reading everyone's experiences and insight here has given us the courage to face our own reality and finally do something positive to open the next chapter in our lives. We're expecting challenges and we know some things (state business taxes) will still be there, but we've taken the first step and it looks like a chapter 7 is a "slam dunk" as our attorney stated. Let's hope so.

Thanks again to everyone here. We'll keep you posted as we progress. I am sure we'll have lots of questions!
    Retained attorney 10/4/09, Chapter 7 filed 12/30/09
    341 meeting 2/2/10
    Trustee report of no distribution filed 2/4/10
    Discharged 4/8/10

Congrats on getting the BK ball rolling.... I know it's a big relief just to have retained your attorney.

Can't believe that your creditors haven't sued either, I went a year without paying and nothing....maybe creditors are just really backed up right now....
    When do you plan on filing?
    May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
    May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
    May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
    9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Congrats on making that first step. I think that's the hardest part of all of it, I know it was for me.

Comment

Congratulations... and what a perfect screen name!

Comment

Hope to file before year end. We really want to get some things behind us and start fresh. Sure, we may be a little strategic in our timing but it's all for the best.

As far as not being sued, I really believe that you are on the back burner if they can't harass you everyday on the phone. No doubt we look horrible on the credit too so that's probably part of the reason.

We plan on pulling our CR's in a few days. Don't even want to think about what those look like right now! Once we do, I have a hunch we'll see some increased activity. Good thing we have an attorney now
          Retained attorney 10/4/09, Chapter 7 filed 12/30/09
          341 meeting 2/2/10
          Trustee report of no distribution filed 2/4/10
          Discharged 4/8/10

Comment

Welcome to our wonderful Forum. I say 'Ours" as in it belongs to all who are in need as well as those who wish to and enjoy giving aid.

The hardest part of any journey, is the first step. You made that first step and you will arrive free. Just be sure to make the best of your "new start" in life as it will become a challenge life style change. Also, don't look at your credit report. It is not important now to you, nor even in this economy. You need all the encouragement and not bad news. Avoid this please. 'Hub
            If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X