Question about filing 7 and a new job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about filing 7 and a new job

My husband has been looking for a better job for almost a year. While looking for a new job we have since realized we need to file bankruptcy and plan to do so by the end of this year. Right now it seems that even though we are over the median to file a 7 we can still do so because of our many expenses. Well, now he may have that better job we have longed hoped for. If (and I'm quite sure it will pay more than what he is making now) he gets this job what will happen to our ability to file a 7? Should we hurry and file as soon as possible and that way we can use the lower of his income for the past 6 months or will there be a problem when we are asked about what our future income will be? I wanted for so long a better opportunity and now it may be bittersweet. Can anyone give me their opinion on our situation? Thanks!
    08-2009:Quit Paying Credit Cards
    04-2010:Hired 2nd Attorney;05-2010:Filed 7
    06-2010:341 Meeting (went very well)
    08-24-2010: Discharged; 09-02-2010 Closed!!

Well, perhaps my situation might give you some insight in one way. I went from having zero income to making about 40k over median. I filed within about 1.5 months of getting my job, so my 6 month look back was still really really low. I was never asked about future income or why I was filing if I now had a great job. They care about the circumstances that led up to your filing. So, of course filing before your 6 month period gets even bigger would be a good thing...but this is probably something you would want to run by a lawyer. If you're already over the median and expect to be even higher over the median in the near future...this could throw things out of whack.

Hope that helps a little.
    BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
    Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X