top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need information please.. How long did you go with out paying your CC bills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need information please.. How long did you go with out paying your CC bills?

We need to file bankruptcy, but of course you know it cost money... So My question is how long did you go with out paying your CC bills (with out them trying to garnish your paychecks)? We have CC with BofA, First National, Discover, Citi, charge card from Sams and Sears.

When I had a consultation with the last attorney, she suggested that we stop paying 3 months before filing Chapter 7. We pay around $835/month in CC payments. She said, "There's your BK costs right there.".

Strangely enough, her fees were $2500 which I thought were kinda high.

I questioned whether the CC companies would act in that amount of time and she told me, "No." I guess anything is possible but I would think you could get by 90 days before filing.

Comment

We stopped paying three years ago and have not yet filed. Various reasons for this, including ongoing medical needs that we wanted discharged.

I have spent the time researching every last bit on our case, as well.

Wife has 2 small judgments totalling about 5k, from our smallest credit cards. Only one has started to get serious and scheduled a debtor's exam for Dec 14. So we will file prior to that.

Three years, lots of threatening voicemails and letters, not much action from any other creditors.

It varies by case, but can go a while if you're lucky.
      11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
      12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
      3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

I stopped paying cards 1 yr and 3 mo before I filed, never went past collection calls and letter.
        Filed Chapter 7 September 25, 2009
        341 November 2, 2009
        Final Day for Objections 1-1-10 (Happy New Year!)
        Discharged 1-4-10

Comment

Originally posted by sufferingAZ View Post
          We need to file bankruptcy, but of course you know it cost money... So My question is how long did you go with out paying your CC bills (with out them trying to garnish your paychecks)? We have CC with BofA, First National, Discover, Citi, charge card from Sams and Sears.
          No one can garnish your wages (except IRS) without a suit. You have many months. You will get harassed by phone et. al. but you have enough lead time to know. They must get a Judgment to do anything at all. Depending on when you wish to file, that stops it all. They cannot sue you or harass you once the automatic stay comes in. 'Hub
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I stopped pying 18 mos, I had 7 cc, COne 4000, was only one who tried to sue me. The rest just sent collection letters , ring my phone off the hook. I let them get the judgement and then they wanted financial info thru court so I filed to avoid giving them any of my financial records.
            chpt 7 ,5-2009

Comment

We stopped paying 4 or 5 months before filing. We received calls for a very short time. As soon as we paid the lawyer, he took the calls.
              7/27/09 Filed Chapter 7
              9/3/09 341
              11/3/09 Discharge Date

Comment

Well, the truth of the matter is... it varies. I stopped paying cc's late 2004. I just paid off my secured debt. I wasn't actually sued until Sept 2009, at which time I decided enough was enough and I filed Ch 7.

Comment

Originally posted by sufferingAZ View Post
                  we went a little over 9 months; and didn't have any suits or garnishments even threatened.
                  Had BOA, Bank of Omaha as the bigger ones and amex and a local CU
                  Filed Pro Se: 10/16/2009
                  341 Scheduled: 11/23/2009
                  Last Day for Objections: 1/22/2010
                  Discharged: 1/28/2010

Comment

After 6 months non paying Wells Fargo sued us,and after 4 another suits came from different banks.I think we are ready to fille in december.

Comment

So far its been 15 months for me..still haven't filed yet. No suits and the calls are slowing down..
                      I had one guy the other day (he has been calling for awhile now) call and in a sing songing voice say "hello miss----- this is so and so and I'm calling blablbalbla..then my machine cut him off.
                      I think hes getting alittle luney calling with no one to talk to and knowing it was a waste of his time to call..it was kinda funny..

Comment

We have $100k in credit card debt, over 5 cards, and we have not paid in 10 months. 3 have been sent to collection agencies. We DV'd them all and never heard from them again.

We retained an attorney 3 wks ago. and plan to file early February 2010, informed all the creditors we had retained an attorney and have not heard from them since.

It all depends on how much they know about you and your finances and how much they think they can get from you if they sue.
                        Stopped paying c. cards February 2009
                        Retained attorney 11/5/09 - $100k in C.Card debt - $120000 per year income - Filed Feb 2010 - 341 Apr 2010 - No Asset Case/Report of No Dist Apr 2010 - Discharged June 2010
                        Case went without a hitch!
                        I HELD MY HEAD HIGH IN THAT COURTROOM AND NOW I AM MOVING ON!

Comment

Stopped paying cc in May, got sued in October by Chase.

Comment

2 years.
                            Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

Wow everyone thanks for answering. As of right now I dont mind answering the calls... I just tell them I lost my job and still looking. So far EVERYONE is super nice!!!! I wonder how long it will be before that changes.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X