required class, when do you take it??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

required class, when do you take it??

do i take it before going to an attorney or wait?
    Im not much on talking on the phone, are there any thats strictly online?

There are two required classes. One is not really worth it and costs about $35 here in FL. Ours was a local office and it took all of about 15 minutes. The reasoning on this one is, do you need bk, what kind of bk, 13 or 7? The certificate is mailed to your lawyer. The next is after your 341. You can take it online and Mrs. and I found it to be very interesting and we enjoyed it. About $35 for the both, a lead through PowerPoint type of lesson, and a short snap of a quiz at the end. We did it one Saturday morning and the certificate was emailed to us and our lawyer who filed it with our docket. Piece of cake. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

As Hub mentioned, there are two classes. One is pre-filing Credit Counseling and the other is post-filing Debtor's Education. Various accredited companies offer both certifications online. (I believe some districts won't permit online certification). Some attorneys have client codes that seemingly ease the online process and certification transfer. My first course was online and involved plugging personal numbers (it lasted less than 15 minutes). My second course was designed to last two hours (unlike Hub, I found it boring).

You can take the pre-filing course before meeting with an attorney or you can wait. Personally, I think it's easier to have retained an attorney so you can have the certification immediately forwarded via email to him/her. Bear in mind, there is a range of costs. My first course was $50 and my second course -with a different company -was only $14.95.
      *Filed: September 23, 2009 *341: November 4, 2009 *Discharged: January 4, 2010 *Closed: January 20, 2010

Hakuna Matata...it means NO WORRIES!

Comment

There is the pre filing course ($30) that you do b4 u file and then the pre discharge ($25) , I was told by my lawyer to do them online at personalfinanceeducation.com, hkwevervu might wanna check with your county to make sure they accept online courses.

-WPB, Florida

Comment

Ours was $70 for the first part, $40 for the second. That was for 2 of us and we did them online. But, we had to call in to complete the courses and they asked us a few questions the second time. Easy though.
          Filed CH 7 10/14/09
          341 11/18/09 DONE!
          Discharged 1/19/10!

Comment

Ive seen a lot of people on here that did not like Hummingbird but I used them and thought that it was pretty good. My lawyer was registered with them so when I took the courses he was able to print the certificates at his office as soon as I forwarded the case #s to him and he added the cost into his fees. $49.99 for the 1rst class and $19.99 for the 2nd. The 1rts took about 15 minutes online and maybe a 5 minute phone call after. The 2nd was about 1 hour & 15 minutes and was informative. I know there are cheaper ones out there but the convenience was great and after what I was giving to CC company's anything was a bargain.

Comment

Whatever course you take be certain the provider is approved in your district.
              Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Mine was $50 and $50. The pre-discharge class (2nd class) said that the UST office says you have to be with the content a minimum of two hours. Dont know if anyone else say this, or if its a new rule...
                Filed C7 9-14-09
                341 Meeting 10-26-09
                Last day for Objections 12-28-09
                Discharged 1-4-10

Comment

I took my first class after retaining my attorney. That way, the attorney was able to get a copy of the confirmation directly from the provider. I completed the second class before the 341. This was so that after the 341, I didn't have any other requirements to complete.
                  341 September 2, 2009 (5 minutes)
                  Last day to object: November 2, 2009
                  Discharged: November 3, 2009
                  Closed: December 2, 2009! I'm done!!!!

Comment

I had to use my state's pre-approved courses. They were online.. and the certs went to both me and my attorney.

Comment

Originally posted by digginout View Post
                      do i take it before going to an attorney or wait?
                      Im not much on talking on the phone, are there any thats strictly online?
                      Glad you brought this up...Have been wondering how to pay for an online course, via cc ????

Also, do they ask for SS numbers ?... am concerned about giving out the numbers as I am very sceptical about any of these outfits....

Comment

Abacus Credit Counseling asked for the last 4 digits of SSN.

Their pre-filing bankruptcy class is $25 online...the course is approved in all states except Oregon, Alabama and North Carolina.

After you can take it, you can enter your atty's email address and have the cert directly sent to him or her. You can have a copy e-mailed to yourself, and also print/save the cert after completion.
                        Last edited by MC9199; 11-21-2009, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MC9199 View Post
                          Abacus Credit Counseling asked for the last 4 digits of SSN.

Their pre-filing bankruptcy class is $25 online...the course is approved in all states except Oregon, Alabama and North Carolina.

After you can take it, you can enter your atty's email address and have the cert directly sent to him or her. You can have a copy e-mailed to yourself, and also print/save the cert after completion.
                          Do you know if it's $25 for single and joint filers?
                          Stopped Payings CC's: 8/14/2009 | Retained Attorney: 9/23/2009 | Filed CH 7: 12/7/2009 | 341 Meeting: 1/21/2010 - Complete | Discharged: 4/9/2010
                          "One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth."

Comment

Originally posted by LimpDisc View Post
                            Do you know if it's $25 for single and joint filers?
                            They say it's still $25 for married couples taking the course together...they give two certificates.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X