Will this affect me getting a job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will this affect me getting a job?

I had a second meeting with a new attorney today and it went much better. He is saying we will qualify for a chapter 7.

My only concern at this point is whether or not I will be able to get a good job after graduation? I have about 6-7 more classes until I get my bachelors degree and of course I'd like to get a decent job! I would like to get a job in HR.

I guess I'm trying to get the guts to actually go through with it. I need to...I want to...I'm just thinking of the future. Will I be totally screwed?

Plus, I did see one job listing where it said something along the lines of "even if you have a good score and no late payments, maxed out credit lines will be viewed negatively."

This is just such a hard decision. I'm not in my dream job by any means at this point, but I have no problem staying here another year or two. I wonder what my credit score will be in that time...maybe it will be good enough by then...
    Last edited by sbush; 11-23-2009, 09:33 AM.

BK definetly effects your chances with finding good employment, car insurance rates, utilities, etc. However, in these times many more families and individuals are forced into it due to the economy and loss of jobs. It's allot easier to explain why you went BK now a days and I believe employers understand a little more.
    9/22/2009 - officially filed chapter 7
    11/03/2009 - scheduled 341 - COMPLETED
    01/04/2010 - last day for objections
    01/11/2010 - DISCHARGED & CLOSED

Comment

If you are not working directly with money or in the banking industry, most likely your bankruptcy will not directly affect your ability to be hired.

Most companies do credit checks as part of a background check, and especially for an HR position, but if you are not working directly with money or in the banking industry, that credit check probably won't be the deciding factor in whether or not you are hired.
      You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

All of my exmployers said they will run a credit check and none of them did to date. I am not saying to hide but if you are following the "let them found out and ask" technique then this might work in your favor. I would though talk to them and make sure to explain it to the employer myself then let my credit scores and reports shock them and tell them things that are not there, imagination goes far!

Also, it looks like once you'll be ready to start looking for an HR-type of job, you won't be desparate, you are already working, so just plan this:
        1) As soon as you're discharged, start rebuilding your credit history
        2) As you as you graduate, start looking for a job
        3) If you are denied a job for bk / credit issues, ask the potential employers for advice, some of them might be very experienced and tell you what you're looking for and what you should do to increase your chances of credit check being ok with the employer later

That's probably what I would do...
        Filed CH7 on Aug-06-2009 -- DONE!
        341 meeting on Oct-01-2009 -- DONE!
        Discharged on Nov-12-2009 -- DONE!
        Case Closed on Jun-15-2010 -- DONE!

Comment

Thanks everyone. Being in HR, I'm sure I'd be responsible for payroll at some point. That's my concern. Plus, I'd love to work at a bank with bankers hours and all the days off !

But, I'm going to be rebuilding my credit right away. I will still have a car payment that has never been late and I'll have my mortgage that has never been late. Hopefully my score won't be too terrible!

Comment

I will still have a car payment that has never been late and I'll have my mortgage that has never been late.
            I think that will help a lot!
            Filed CH7 on Aug-06-2009 -- DONE!
            341 meeting on Oct-01-2009 -- DONE!
            Discharged on Nov-12-2009 -- DONE!
            Case Closed on Jun-15-2010 -- DONE!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X