top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone's home/car insurance premiums go up after your discharge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I filed in October and my insurance renews in Dec. Progressive raised my rates about $60 for the next 6 month period. They have done this at each renewal, so I shopped them. State Farm gave me nice service and a quote $30 less per month and they are aware of my bk. Finally I win at something!
    Once you lose everything you're free to do anything.
    Filed 10/06/2009
    341 11/12/2009
    Discharged 1/15/2010

Comment

Just got denied for homeowners insurance from all Florida companies still writing new policies. The options are limited even if you have wonderful credit. I will have to go with State coverage through Citizens. They
      are the insurer of last resort and charge much more than private companies.
      Southern District of Florida
      Filed Ch 7 - 8/6/09 341 - 9/14/09
      Report of No Distribution - 9/18/09
      DISCHARGE ! 11/23/09 Closed 12/8/09

Comment

I just don't get how they can get away with raising your insurance. I don't see how filing BK has anything to do with their business. If you don't pay - you don't have insurance - simple as that. Anyway to get an extra dime they will do it. I am sure I will be faced with the same situation soon. The good news is it is renewal time for car insurance so that won't increase for another six months.

Comment

My auto insurance also went up. By about 200 a year or so...

The laws vary by state and some states do not allow them to factor in your credit and some do. Unfortunately, Virginia allows the use of credit. However, Virginia has much lower rates overall than other states.

Also, your rates will be based on whether or not the insurance company does a fresh check on you or just renews the policy. I have scraped by a few times on renewals with them not pulling new information. But, I imagine that bankruptcy is a flag for them since I'm in a state that allows credit influence.

Which I find obserd.... just because I file bankruptcy means I can't drive a car safely?
          BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
          Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

When our credit score was going down, limits going up, American Family totally jacked up the price. We switched to State Farm and save over half!! We have a BMW X5 Honda Civic and a 69 Camaro and pay about $700 every 6 months. American Family was close to $1200 without the Camaro.
            Filed 8-21-09
            341 10-9-09
            12-14-09 Discharged
            12-29-09 CLOSED!!!

Comment

We had American Family on 2 cars and a home. I filed last year, discharged in Jan. 09. When our renewal came up for the house, our rate went up 50%, from $40/month to $60. Two months later our autos were up for renewal, they went up about 20%. Reasons given were my credit. We went to Liberty Mutual and got the rates back in line.

Comment

American Family must be greedy SOB's.
                Filed 8-21-09
                341 10-9-09
                12-14-09 Discharged
                12-29-09 CLOSED!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X