Excuse my ignorance but....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excuse my ignorance but....

Can someone please explain to me what a ride-thru is for a mortgage and a car note, and a reaffirming...which has the best benefit....

Bump!!!!!

Comment

Reaffirm means, you accept the same terms of the loan as existed prior to filing bk. In other words, poat discharge if you default the lender can sue you for a deficiency balance.
      In a ride through, your debt is discharged but, you continue to make payments and retain the property. Should you decide to bail anytime in the future, the lender can't pursue you for a deficency balance.
      Obvisously, a ridethrough is to your advantage.

Comment

I always wonder when or if the lenders will wake up though and seize the property when you are within a few payments of having it paid for. Wouldn't that be their right as you discharged it and it is theirs legally? I don't know, but seems plausible in my mind.
        Filed Chapter 7: 10/29/09 341 Meeting: 12/02/09
        UST involved: 12/12/09 UST out: 1/10/10
        Last day for objections: 2/01/10 Discharged: 2/8/10

Comment

Originally posted by Llelxon View Post
          I always wonder when or if the lenders will wake up though and seize the property when you are within a few payments of having it paid for. Wouldn't that be their right as you discharged it and it is theirs legally? I don't know, but seems plausible in my mind.
          No. The asset is yours. They have a lien on it but there is no reason for them to seize your property so long as you continue to pay them. These lenders are in the money lending business not the real estate management or used car businesses.
          Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

If your car is thru a dealership fiance like Ford or others those have been known to repo cars after Bk with no reaffirm. However they do it rather quickly. If after 6 months or so you still have your car and you have kept the payments up, odds are the lender is content with things they way they are.

As far as houses go it's expensive to take a house from someone and I can't say i've ever heard of a person losing a house after BK if they kept the payments
            3/2/09- Filed: chapter 7 / No asset
            4/1/09- 341 Hearing: 1 creditor showed up Got to love family feuds
            4/2/09- Trustee Report of No Distribution Filed
            6/24/09- Discharged and case closed

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X