Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone plz help with my schd J?

I'm in panic mode... again....

I've been absolutely certain we were set for ch7 b/c we passed the means test with flying colors although everyone kept telling me to be careful... I listened... and I finally filled out schedule J

Please help me! When I take the allowances on the means test, everything is great. Problem is, we don't spend as much as we are allowed on the utilities - and that is what is killing us!!! We canceled cable b/c money was tight.. and cell phones! I am, however, still paying them for the early termination fees... does that count? lol

My problem is that after everything on schedules I & J, our monthly net income is $629.

Here goes:
    Schedule J

1. Mortgage 1503
    a/b. (yes, yes)

2. Utilities
    a. 150
    b. 50
    c. 25
    d. internet & cable $125 (since I am still paying and will be when we file)

3. Home maint/repairs/upkeep $100 (it's a new home, so I wasn't even sure this is "okay"
    4. Food $900
    5. Clothing $350
    6. Laundry/dry cleaning $50
    7. medical/dental $0 (we have health savings plan)
    8. transportation $400
    9. recreation $350
    10. charitable $0
    11d. auto insurance $100
    13. auto $427
    17. other - diapers & wipes ($100), preschool ($160), personal care ($75) total $ 335

18. 4865
    20a 5494
    20c 629

I'm freaking I dont' know where else I can put stuff. I am not sure what each category actually includes..

I know my state allows an additional $360 standard out-of-pocket health care costs for a family of six. So, that's where some of the $$ is not adding up compared to the means test.

Plus, my state allows $1894 for Food, clothing, household supplies, personal. My totals for food, clothing, & personal don't add up to $1894 but I don't know where to put what... does the "food, clothing, & personal" actually include things like, laundry detergent? paper towels, toilet paper, diapers, soap? etc

Oh... and does security system go anywhere? We pay $45/month for security b/c my husband works 3rd shift and I am alone with four kids at night!

Can someone please help me? I've finally reassured my husband that everything is going to be okay... and now I can't make the numbers line up He's going to freak.

He also pays for my student loans and tuition, but I guess he can't claim those, can he?

Oh.. I am in North Carolina
    Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
    Statement of Presumed abuse filed 707(b) 05/03
    Statement of Non-Abuse filed!!
    Discharged 06/23/10

You state that you have an HSA, but I don't see the monthly expense for your contributions. Increase your food allowance to whatever the IRS standards allows for your state. I'm almost 99.9% certain your attorney will move your expenses closer to the $1894.00 allowed for your state.
    Stopped Payings CC's: 8/14/2009 | Retained Attorney: 9/23/2009 | Filed CH 7: 12/7/2009 | 341 Meeting: 1/21/2010 - Complete | Discharged: 4/9/2010
    "One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth."

Comment

Originally posted by LimpDisc View Post
      You state that you have an HSA, but I don't see the monthly expense for your contributions. Increase your food allowance to whatever the IRS standards allows for your state. I'm almost 99.9% certain your attorney will move your expenses closer to the $1894.00 allowed for your state.
      You're right... I didn't even write that down, did I!?! Thanks for pointing that out. So there's -125/month. Thank you!

So this probably sounds stupid, but will the attorney actually sit down with me and help me figure out what to put where and how much? I don't meet with an attorney until 01/12.
      Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
      Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

My best guess is the security system would go under "other". Sort of like the pet food I need to buy went under other.

Comment

The attorney should fill out the schedule. I provided all the paperwork to my attorney and he put the items where he felt they should go. That's why you hire attorneys -- for their EXPERT advice.

Comment

Your health savings plan covers all your medical expenses? No out of pocket copays, over the counter stuff like cough medicine, etc..

How about Life Insurance? I would raise the necessities like food, gas, utilities, etc, and lower things like recreation, the trustee might question the 350.00 in recreation, and try to push you into a 13.
            Filed Chapter 7 (no Asset) - Sept 2009
            341 Meeting - Oct, 2009 (Converted to Asset Case)
            DISCHARGED - Dec. 2009
            $1500 Buy Back & 67% Of Tax Refund Surrendered

Comment

Originally posted by ChaseDidThis View Post
              Your health savings plan covers all your medical expenses? No out of pocket copays, over the counter stuff like cough medicine, etc..

How about Life Insurance? I would raise the necessities like food, gas, utilities, etc, and lower things like recreation, the trustee might question the 350.00 in recreation, and try to push you into a 13.
              Well, when we file we will be paying $125/month into the health savings plan, but it doesn't cover vitamins. Just about everything else can be reimbursed if we have to pay out of pocket up front.

I thought the $350 was high, too - we don't even spend $100 on recreation to be honest lol
              Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
              Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

We have a family of 7 and put 1350 for food. We are in Oregon.
                Don't forget to list life insurance. If you don't have some, get some. That is a big family.

When we went to the attorneys office we had to move some numbers around too. We raised things like food, utilities and don't forget haircuts. Is your taxes and insurance included in the house payment? Any HOA fees? What about activities or clubs that the kids are in. Sports, band etc... That may be part of your recreation amount. What about school lunches? Do you always pack them lunches?

Are the utilities gas electric and phone? Do you have cell phones?

That is all I have right now.
                9/30/09 * Filed Ch7
                11/9/09 * 341 - Uneventful
                1/11/10 * Closed

Comment

You really need to get everything in line with the IRS standards. Food, clothing, gas, utilities and everything else that falls into those standards. Work the rest of your schedule after getting those expenses in line. I highly doubt the trustee is going to question the expenses that are set standards by the guidelines.

He will look for something you can cut back on and $350 on recreation surely stands out.
                  Stopped Payings CC's: 8/14/2009 | Retained Attorney: 9/23/2009 | Filed CH 7: 12/7/2009 | 341 Meeting: 1/21/2010 - Complete | Discharged: 4/9/2010
                  "One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth."

Comment

Originally posted by kailansmom04 View Post
                    Well, when we file we will be paying $125/month into the health savings plan, but it doesn't cover vitamins. Just about everything else can be reimbursed if we have to pay out of pocket up front.

I thought the $350 was high, too - we don't even spend $100 on recreation to be honest lol
                    I think only $125 is way to low for a family of six, i'll bet if you look into past receipts you would find you spend more than that, remember any vitamins, cough syrup, cough drops, prescriptions, copays, antibiotics that are occasionally prescribed. How about dental fillings or chiropractic care, etc.. Think of anything and everything.

I know the first day i saw my attorney, i gave him a quick budget, and it showed i had quite a bit of money left over, but i went home and looked through my checkbook and cc receipts, and anything i could find, and what i found out is it cost a lot more to live than i thought, its no wonder i was in so much debt.

As another poster said, Life insurance is also a good idea.
                    Filed Chapter 7 (no Asset) - Sept 2009
                    341 Meeting - Oct, 2009 (Converted to Asset Case)
                    DISCHARGED - Dec. 2009
                    $1500 Buy Back & 67% Of Tax Refund Surrendered

Comment

Don't forget if you have a dog or cat their food and vet bills! My attorney included $60 a month for this (both a dog and cat)...but then this is the Eastern District of California!
                      November 2, 2009: Filed Chapter 7, December 10, 2009: 341 Done! January 11, 2010 Last Day for Objections! February 9, 2010 Discharged!!! February 12, 2010 Case Closed, MyFico on 11/09: 550, Now: 715!

Comment

In no particular order:

4. A family of 6? That's 4 kids. You are low on a lot of things. You can't feed 6 people for $900 a month. That's only $5 per person per day. That's a PB&J and water diet. You need around 1200. 1400 if you have growing boys -- they eat like mules. Don't deprive your kids to pay mastercard and visa.

2c. Your telephone is only $25 per month? Where do I sign up for that deal?

10. No charitable contributions? How are you ever going to get all 6 of y'all to heaven if you don't tithe? Our trustee doesn't require proof until you exceed the $200 per month mark. Don't lie, of course, but Benny Hinn says you'll burn in Hades for eternity if you don't tithe. And they can't put it on TV if it's not true. Just saying . . .

Those are just what jumped out at me.
                        Last edited by MSbklawyer; 12-12-2009, 03:51 AM.
                        Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by MSbklawyer View Post
                          2c. Your telephone is only $25 per month? Where do I sign up for that deal?

10. No charitable contributions? How are you ever going to get all 6 of y'all to heaven if you don't tithe? Our trustee doesn't require proof until you exceed the $200 per month mark. Don't lie, of course, but Benny Hinn says you'll burn in Hades for eternity if you don't tithe. And they can't put it on TV if it's not true. Just saying . . .

Those are just what jumped out at me.
                          Well, I actually don't have anything we pay for our home phone (but we are still paying the upfront costs, so that is why I put $20). Check out ooma.

Charitable contributions... does it have to be in monetary form? I gave a LOT of stuff to Goodwill & Helping Hands every month. I donate all the clothes my kids have outgrown (well, my son and youngest and eldest daughters).

Okay - I upped our food to $1200 and entertainment to $250.

YOu all are so awesome!
                          Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
                          Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

Originally posted by kailansmom04 View Post
                            Well, I actually don't have anything we pay for our home phone (but we are still paying the upfront costs, so that is why I put $20). Check out ooma.
                            Ask your lawyer, but I can't imagine a trustee objecting to a $100 / month phone bill. Especially if you have girls. Girls = jacked up phone bill. Boys = jacked up grocery bill.

Charitable contributions... does it have to be in monetary form? I gave a LOT of stuff to Goodwill & Helping Hands every month. I donate all the clothes my kids have outgrown (well, my son and youngest and eldest daughters).
                            If you are giving things like clothes that you've already counted as an expense, you'd be double dipping. But I'd just BET that you give $100 or so a month to a church or a charity. Especially in light of Reverend Hinn's revelations and ESPECIALLY since no trustee would ever look askanse at $100 per month.

Okay - I upped our food to $1200 and entertainment to $250.
                            Good. Now you can eat meat once or twice a week and maybe eat out and go to a movie once a month. Despite what some trustees may lead you to believe, you are not required to live under a bridge and starve your kids in order to get bankruptcy relief.

You all are so awesome!
                            That's what you pay us for. You are paying us, right?
                            Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

I definitely owe you guys some money!!!
                              Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
                              Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X