Found a lawyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found a lawyer

Glad to have found this forum. Due to job loss I can no longer afford the cc's. I've talked to 2 bk lawyers ( finally retained one of them )and because of a bonus in one month I had gotten when I was working, I need to wait til April before I can file so the income will not show in the 6 month look back of pay. This month December I just now stopped paying on the cc's. Already getting calls, on the forum some say answer the calls others say don't, I haven't yet. I was afraid if I tell them I've retained a lawyer they might speed up the lawsuit process since I can't file til April. I was wondering ( I know this question comes up alot ) if I can make it til April without a lawsuit ? Collections I'm not sure about. Some of the cc's I have, I've seen mentioned on the forum as some of the worst for collections & lawsuits, yikes ! I live in small township ( rather not mentiion)
    and everyone knows one anothers business. Really would not want it discussed at the local diner so & so is in the hole. Thanx for all of your support

Getting a attorney is a start. I for one do NOT answer any calls from credit collectors I let the answering machine pick em up. I did answer em in the beginning but they were so uncaring about my situation I quit answering them.... I've had some of the same questions you've asked and after some searching on this board found some answers. You'll get some answers can't really predict how long it takes... each credit card company action varies. In this crappy economy I imagine there are alot of people defaulting.....Hang in there kiddo !

Comment

Based on my own experience I don't think you'll have any issues making it until April. My attorney said it would take six months of not paying before I ran into any issues.

I was one who answered calls in the beginning. If they can't locate you with the numbers you provided on credit applications, they will use other ways to find you. Calling relatives, friends, neighbors and employers.
      Stopped Payings CC's: 8/14/2009 | Retained Attorney: 9/23/2009 | Filed CH 7: 12/7/2009 | 341 Meeting: 1/21/2010 - Complete | Discharged: 4/9/2010
      "One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth."

Comment

I would answer unless you want them to start calling other people. Did you retain your attorney? If so, send the calls to his office. Just tell the creditors you are filing bankruptcy and any questions can be answered by your attorney and provide them with a name and number. If they try to ask more questions you politely respond with " my attorney can answer that question" would you like his\her phone number

Comment

We haven't paid a credit card bill since last January. Most of the collectors call the attorney's office now. We do get some collection agencies calling now. I've always answered the phone and talked with the collectors. It can be a fun game.

We've only recently received our first summons. I filed an answer with the court which buys us plenty of time. We anticipate filing in January.

Retaining an attorney won't accelerate a lawsuit. In fact, the opposite effect occurs. The collector will delay the action as they know you will probably file a bk.
          Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Thanx to you all for your response I'am so glad for this forum it helps me so vey much in my fears of the process of going forward to file bk. I know NONE of us ever wanted nor expected to find ourselves having to file bk. My lawyer I retained told me he has had such an overflow now of new clients he's had to hire more help to handle the excess. He said his small law firm business is really booming. He also told me he does collections too as some bk lawyers do. He told me some of what to expect from cc companies how they will harass and threaten and that I may end up having a lawsuit brought against me before we can file, because some of the credit cards I have are really terrible for that. I did ask around about his firm ( before I retained him ) and many people said hes very upfront and good at bk). I just got my first letter from one if the cc companies ( only 5 days late payment ) they want the past due today as it COULD impact my credit rating ( Gosh, do you think ? ). And they doubled the payment along with a huge late fee tacked on top of it and the interest shot up to 37 per cent. on ONE missed payment ! NO WONDER people can NEVER get out of debt and have to file bk. Thanx to all of your posts and I will surely take your advice

Comment

Dont know if this will help but between the time I called my attorney and when I meet with and retained him, he gave me this advice and it seemed to work. He said take the calls at home it should help keep them from calling you at work. When you speak to them cut them off in mid sentence and say "Not sure when I will be able to pay Im doing the best I can, sorry" don't give them a chance to speak and hang up on them. I know everyone's situation is different but this seemed to keep them at bay for me until I retained him and was able to refer the calls to him.

Comment

Thanx to you all for your responses I will direct all cc calls to my lawyer. A friend of mine told me they are defaulting on cc's and they got a call from sears and he said to them "are you worried about this account ", and sears said " Why yes, we are worried about this account " and my friend said " No sense in both of us worrying about it" and he hung up. He said he hasn't heard from them since.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X