top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can i open a new checking account after my 341?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course. It's probably best to just use a bank in which you did not have debt for.
    Retained Lawyer: 04/2009 Filed: 09/2009 341 Meeting: 10/2009 Discharged: 12/2009 Asset: 05/2010 made asset Closed: 07/2013 after 47 long months

Comment

yeah i figured that would be best...at least i get to have my $360 unemployment check in the bank..WOW ..im rich..LOL

Comment

Yes of course you can open a new checking account.
        You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

What do you think might prevent you from opening a new checking account? Are you planning to open the account with money you hid from the trustee? I'm not accusing you of anything. I want to understand what trouble you think opening a checking account might bring.
          Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
            What do you think might prevent you from opening a new checking account? Are you planning to open the account with money you hid from the trustee? I'm not accusing you of anything. I want to understand what trouble you think opening a checking account might bring.
            Why would you assume that the OP is hiding money? I don't think that the OP has said anything that would lead to such a negative conclusion.

In any case, the only things that would cause problems in opening a checking account post 341, are if you picked a bank you are bk'ing on, or if you have bounced checks in chexsystems.

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
              Why would you assume that the OP is hiding money? I don't think that the OP has said anything that would lead to such a negative conclusion.

In any case, the only things that would cause problems in opening a checking account post 341, are if you picked a bank you are bk'ing on, or if you have bounced checks in chexsystems.
              It wasn't an assumption though I couldn't come up with a better example when I wrote the post. I am trying to understand the thinking behind the concern the OP exhibited. I just want to see the data.
              Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Hiding funds? No not at all...my lawyer told me to not open or close any accounts..just wondering if this meant up to the time i filed or up until my 341 or discharge.

Comment

It's perfectly fine to open a new checking account after your 341. The reason your lawyer probably told you not to open one before is incase the trustee asked you if anything changed. In your case would have been yes if you opened the checking account prior to 341. Even if you had $10 in it, the trustee would still want a statement. This is just another obstacle to delay things in my opinion. However, I opened a new checking accoount the day before I filed since my one was overdrafted. Eventhough I had $100 in it I had to provide statements etc. I just wanted it open so I would have one before the BK hit and possible chexsystem!
                  9/22/2009 - officially filed chapter 7
                  11/03/2009 - scheduled 341 - COMPLETED
                  01/04/2010 - last day for objections
                  01/11/2010 - DISCHARGED & CLOSED

Comment

Originally posted by NY1 View Post
                    Hiding funds? No not at all...my lawyer told me to not open or close any accounts..just wondering if this meant up to the time i filed or up until my 341 or discharge.
                    Most likely he meant up until the time you file.

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post

Why does it matter if you choose a bank you are BK'ing? I would think that if the debt is going to be discharged, they can no longer collect on it. Am I missing something?
                      Stopped Payings CC's: 8/14/2009 | Retained Attorney: 9/23/2009 | Filed CH 7: 12/7/2009 | 341 Meeting: 1/21/2010 - Complete | Discharged: 4/9/2010
                      "One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth."

Comment

Originally posted by LimpDisc View Post
                        Why does it matter if you choose a bank you are BK'ing? I would think that if the debt is going to be discharged, they can no longer collect on it. Am I missing something?
                        Well they cannot collect on the debt, but they may not want you as a future customer if you have bk'ed on them. It is not a matter of you choosing the bank, so much is it is a matter of whether the bank will want you or not. For example, if you bk on a credit union, do not expect to open up an account at that credit union after discharge.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X