Attorneys Fees Exempt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attorneys Fees Exempt?

I recv'd an Attorney quote of 2K for a Chapter 7. Would a trustee ask how I could afford to pay an attorney that sum of money and not my creditors? Would paying him be seen as a transfer of assets? I have up to 21,725 in exemptions I can use (the grubstake exemptions). Will his fee be put on my exempt list (thereby taking up monies that I could have used to exempt other personal property)? I will likely have to file Ch. 7 and am doing my homework. I would appreciate any insight. Thank you.

No, it's not considered a transfer of assets. It's simply payment for legal services. You will not be questioned at your bankruptcy meeting of creditors about it either, unless the payment of legal fees was not outlined in your Statement of Financial Affairs (part of the bankruptcy paperwork filed with the Court).

Comment

Ok, thank you so much. I downloaded the Nolo book for Ch. 7 last night but looks like it will take me some to read through it and understand everything. Even if I don't file pro se (and I am considering that), I think it's important for me to know how things work, so that I can present my 'case' (whether to an attorney or to the courts directly) in the best/most advantageous light.

Originally posted by Wrightshawn View Post
      No, it's not considered a transfer of assets. It's simply payment for legal services. You will not be questioned at your bankruptcy meeting of creditors about it either, unless the payment of legal fees was not outlined in your Statement of Financial Affairs (part of the bankruptcy paperwork filed with the Court).

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X