Can the Wildcard exemption protect.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can the Wildcard exemption protect.....

I know there has been a lot of tax refund question but I couldn't find an answer to this one. In my state we are allowed a $10,500 homestead exemption. We are about even on mortgage so we wont need to use it. Virginia's wildcard exemption says "Unused portion of homestead, of any personal property". We have not filed ch7 yet but will need to by the end of Feburary. We will get almost 8k back for a tax return around Jan 25th. Can the wildcard exemption protect this cash?

edit: after spending about 20 hours in the last 2 days reading the bk7 and pro se forums I just realized there is a exemption forum and my question should have been asked there. Sorry for the post in the wrong forum.
    Last edited by GettingGoing; 01-07-2010, 01:33 PM.
    -Filed Ch7 pro se 04/14/2010
    -341 Meeting is 05/24/2010 (went uneventfully well)
    -Report of No Distribution 6/4/2010
    -Discharge 7/28/2010

Yes, the exemption covers any personal property, including cash.

I found a blog from a lawyer in VA discussing this, which is a little more credible than me.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBankrupt33 View Post
      Yes, the exemption covers any personal property, including cash.

I found a blog from a lawyer in VA discussing this, which is a little more credible than me.
      Care to post the blog? Thanks for the info.
      -Filed Ch7 pro se 04/14/2010
      -341 Meeting is 05/24/2010 (went uneventfully well)
      -Report of No Distribution 6/4/2010
      -Discharge 7/28/2010

Comment

http://livesaymyers.blogspot.com/200...-virginia.html

Late in the post, they mention using the exemption for cash or a boat.

Comment

I live in MI and we have the same exemption in the same amount for unused homestead. We had no home and no use for it either and I had specifically read in MI law that that exemption can be used for cash so I specifically listed it to protect my upcoming tax refund and it went through.

It never hurts to try if you are unsure but I know it covers cash here in MI.
          Sarah H Owosso, MI
          WE DID IT!! PRO SE
          Filed 7/30/07 341 meeting 9/20/07 60 DAY CLUB 11/19/07!!! :yahoo::yahoo:
          DISCHARGED!!! 11-26-07:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: CLOSED 12-06-07 :yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X