top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the difference between "Discharged" and "Case Closed"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the difference between "Discharged" and "Case Closed"?

I am new on here so I apologize that I don't really know how to search around for other peoples writings.
    Thank you,
    BQ4

This is a great forum and I see no one has answered your question. Its such a simple question that if you searched on you're own, you could have found the answer. So try and use the search before asking questions. People are here to help but you have to help yourself first.

On that note...

Discharged is the light at the end of the tunnel. Basically it means your creditors, your assigned Trustee, and most importantly the U.S.Trustee, has not objected to your BK. It means all your debts have been discharged!

Closed is more of an administrative process. Usually automatic but sometimes missing paperwork can delay the process or even back log. Some people who reaffirm can delay their case from closing as well. Sometimes the hearing is after discharge.

I believe there is a sticky about 60 days and no discharge. There is invaluable information in that post. One person suggested searching you're courts cases (PACER) and seeing the average time for discharge and casing closing. My court averaged about 10 extra days. This was helpful to know.

Comment

Right on Chad! Sometimes you will be discharged and the case still open pending a tax refund that the trustee wants to distribute. After that is collected, the case would be closed. However, case closed is like being on Judge Judy, it's done!
      9/22/2009 - officially filed chapter 7
      11/03/2009 - scheduled 341 - COMPLETED
      01/04/2010 - last day for objections
      01/11/2010 - DISCHARGED & CLOSED

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X