top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Wireless Account? Dispose of Property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Wireless Account? Dispose of Property?

This is a two-fer:

Storage is costing me a lot every month, and I really can't afford it. I think I know the answer to this ? but I will ask it anyway. Can I clear it out a storage unit before filing? I would like to file next month (mid-February). It just galls me that I feel locked into maintaining this because I don't want a trustee to think I am trying to get rid of items that might be used to pay off creditors. ALL the stuff would be exempt anyway. It's household junk (mostly). I am curious what others here would do under similar circumstances. I could take photos to prove it's all junk, if that would help.

Second question: Will ATT give me a wireless account with a two credit cards now 'closed' (i don't know the term) or a BK showing on my credit report? How strict are they on credit? I actually already have a landline and internet with them and wanted to switch my wireless account to them as well. I guess the main question is whether they would they run an additional credit check on me solely because I wanted to add wireless to an existing account? If not, maybe I could get that setup before filing. Anyone know?

Thanks in advance for help.

The trustee is not going to care if you get rid of your used furnishings.

ATT runs credit checks for their wireless plans, but they are not that strict. I was able to get an iphone a month after discharge. Of course YMMV.
    You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
      The trustee is not going to care if you get rid of your used furnishings.

ATT runs credit checks for their wireless plans, but they are not that strict. I was able to get an iphone a month after discharge. Of course YMMV.
      Thanks. Good to know about ATT. One of the questions asked of me in my free consult was whether I had sold or given away anything in the past 7 years. Which I took to mean that their 'look back' goes waaay back.

FOLLOWUP: Will a trustee care that I have (or will have) a $90 per month cell phone expense? I drive an older car and want a smartphone/pda for security reasons (primarily for navigation -- i have a knack for getting lost). That's more than double what I am paying now, on my 'regular' cell phone. As my expenses are low overall, it would be to my advantage to show more expenses. Just don't know if they would allow something like that, or whether they 'cap' that type of expense in Southern CA. Anyone know on that specific expense? Thanks.
      Last edited by ApresMoi; 01-14-2010, 08:04 AM. Reason: remove redundancy

Comment

We spend well over $200 a month on cellphone expenses. Both my wife and I use our phones for work, I have a smartphone with internet access and also a wireless internet card for my laptop. We haven't filed yet but our lawyer didn't bat an eye at that number.

Comment

Originally posted by fireworks View Post
          We spend well over $200 a month on cellphone expenses. Both my wife and I use our phones for work, I have a smartphone with internet access and also a wireless internet card for my laptop. We haven't filed yet but our lawyer didn't bat an eye at that number.
          Same thing for us.

We have iphones with all the goodies. Our plan runs about $145\month and the attorney said it wouldn't be an issue. I should also add that we have no landline, so this is our only way to communicate from home or away.
          Stopped Payings CC's: 8/14/2009 | Retained Attorney: 9/23/2009 | Filed CH 7: 12/7/2009 | 341 Meeting: 1/21/2010 - Complete | Discharged: 4/9/2010
          "One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth."

Comment

Originally posted by fireworks View Post
            Thanks both (limpdisc as well). Ok, I won't worry. Fireworks are you in CA by any chance? Would prefer to know that that is how they looked at things for someone in SoCal. It's probably OK though.

Do you both agree with previous poster that selling HH furnishings in storage the month prior to filing is OK?

Comment

Originally posted by ApresMoi View Post
              Thanks both (limpdisc as well). Ok, I won't worry. Fireworks are you in CA by any chance? Would prefer to know that that is how they looked at things for someone in SoCal. It's probably OK though.

Do you both agree with previous poster that selling HH furnishings in storage the month prior to filing is OK?
              You have nothing to worry about. I don't think it's necessary to take a survey on your predicament.
              Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

I might be a little concerned about the dollar amount you receive from selling these items.
                Stopped Payings CC's: 8/14/2009 | Retained Attorney: 9/23/2009 | Filed CH 7: 12/7/2009 | 341 Meeting: 1/21/2010 - Complete | Discharged: 4/9/2010
                "One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth."

Comment

Originally posted by LimpDisc View Post
                  I might be a little concerned about the dollar amount you receive from selling these items.
                  They may need to account for the cash but concerned is probably overstated.
                  Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
                    You have nothing to worry about. I don't think it's necessary to take a survey on your predicament.
                    Ok, thanks. I might want to sell off some things and downsize to a less expensive unit (as opposed to selling off every last thing). I don't know where I got the idea I was locked into this until the BK was filed.

Also (limpdisc), I would track all sales as well as account for all funds in case there were questions at the end of the day.

Comment

Ok, thanks. I might want to sell off some things and downsize to a less expensive unit (as opposed to selling off every last thing). I don't know where I got the idea I was locked into this until the BK was filed.

Also (limpdisc), I would track all sales as well as account for all funds in case there were questions at the end of the day.
                      I have a tendency to be overly cautious.

Comment

Originally posted by LimpDisc View Post
                        I have a tendency to be overly cautious.
                        As am I (to a fault, I've lately realized).

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X