Does a Ch 7 BK give me a tax liability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does a Ch 7 BK give me a tax liability?

I was curious to know that, assuming I am discharged in my Ch 7 filing in about 100 days, for about $75,000 in personal and business debt on credit cards only.
    Will I have either a Federal tax liability or California tax liability for 2010 tax return? Does either tax agency count this as income? If they do, I would think I am in the 25% marginal tax brackett( about 17.9% effective)Federal which is about $13,425 and about 8% Calif State or about $6000. Total would be about $20,000. I am on social security and a small pension of about $563
    a month total. I would not be able to pay these taxes and my half of my personal residence worth about $50,000 could be taken by the feds to satisfy the debt. I have it homesteaded in CA but the feds are exempt from that law.
    I might be living in the back of my SUV. AM I screwed or what?

Don't worry. You are not going to get any 1099's for the unsecured debt. That is the beauty of CH7. You are not required to pay a penny towards the taxes for the amount discharged in CH7. Even if you get a 1099 in error from a cc, company, I think all you need to do is fill out an additional form indicating that you are discharged in BK CH7.

Enjoy

Comment

Thank You Good2free

Thank you for the prompt response. I am feeling better about this. I know it is a large amount and I had every intention to pay it all back but my industry is very depressed. I never missed any debt payments in 43 years of working and feel bad it had to come to this. Now I am to old to be employed and too broke to start a new business. I am still hopeful I can one day soon get some decent paying job or even part time employment.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X