I need your opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need your opinions

Okay, I have been barely getting by month to month with only occasional help from my fiance in terms of paying some of the house expenses.

This is the deal....right now my income is $2200. My expenses are as follows..

House Payment: $822
    Utilities: $385 <---IRS standards for my area
    Food/HH Items: $517 <---IRS standards
    Auto operation: $201 <---IRS standards
    Auto Insurance: $50
    Cell Phone: $30

This totals $2,005. I also decided to add a tithing figure of 10% of my gross income ($220) which would put me at $2225, a negative rating on the means test. I do tithe sometimes at my church, but not as much as I want/should in the past. This has been on my conscience for a long time.

Will a trustee object to this? Also, there might be other expenses Im leaving out but cannot think of right now. What are your opinions? Am I missing a common expense? I have no car payment and my current car is only worth $2000 or so.

My fiance contributes $300 when she can but thats not every month, maybe 1 out of 3 or 4. She is in school, works two jobs herself to pay off her own debts she got dug into when she was in high school. Your thoughts?

My attorney advised me that "charitable contributions" would be looked at very closely. When I told him that my charitable contributions were tithes to my local church, and were consistant, he said no problem.

The trustee hasn't questioned them at all.
    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Tithing is usually only accepted by trustees if you can prove a long, documented history of tithing in the past. Starting to tithe just before filing is going to raise a red flag.
      You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

ACTUAL expenses are used to complete your schedule J.

Falsifying your schedules is fraud.
        Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

They didn't question my contributions to my church at all.
          Filed Ch7 10/14/09 - 341 11/23/09
          Last day for objections 1/22/2010
          Discharged!!! 1/25/2010
          Closed! 1/28/2010

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
            ACTUAL expenses are used to complete your schedule J.

Falsifying your schedules is fraud.
            Im not falsifying anything. Ive tithed in the past but havent contributed as much as I would like to lately. And I dont know how one can go about proving they tithe considering its an anonymous thing and usually I just go to the ATM and get some cash that morning or the day before.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon View Post
              Im not falsifying anything. Ive tithed in the past but havent contributed as much as I would like to lately. And I dont know how one can go about proving they tithe considering its an anonymous thing and usually I just go to the ATM and get some cash that morning or the day before.
              You don't have any type of receipt from the tithe? Does that mean you don't deduct your tithe on tax returns?
              Stopped Payings CC's: 8/14/2009 | Retained Attorney: 9/23/2009 | Filed CH 7: 12/7/2009 | 341 Meeting: 1/21/2010 - Complete | Discharged: 4/9/2010
              "One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth."

Comment

Originally posted by LimpDisc View Post
                You don't have any type of receipt from the tithe? Does that mean you don't deduct your tithe on tax returns?
                No receipt of any kind. They just pass around the offering plate and thats it. I mean I can prove I take money out of my checking account, but they could say Im just blowing it on other things.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon View Post
                  No receipt of any kind. They just pass around the offering plate and thats it. I mean I can prove I take money out of my checking account, but they could say Im just blowing it on other things.

Nick
                  We had small envelopes and they would provide a statement at the end of each year.
                  Stopped Payings CC's: 8/14/2009 | Retained Attorney: 9/23/2009 | Filed CH 7: 12/7/2009 | 341 Meeting: 1/21/2010 - Complete | Discharged: 4/9/2010
                  "One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth."

Comment

We had small envelopes and they would provide a statement at the end of each year.
                    That's the way all of the churches do it around here. In January, we get a printout from the church stating the amount of our contributions. It breaks it down completely for the previous year.
                    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
                      That's the way all of the churches do it around here. In January, we get a printout from the church stating the amount of our contributions. It breaks it down completely for the previous year.
                      Our church does the same thing...but I've done what the OP mentioned and just put cash in the offering plate without filling out the envelope. Therefore no record. In going over our expenses, I've only listed tithing at what actually shows on the yearly statements from our church (in other words, what we can PROVE we give).

OP---do you have other expenses that you could list, like medical/dental? Do you wear glasses or contacts? A clothing expense?

Comment

Falcon-

What do you have on lines 19b, 27, 32 and 34 of the means test?

Comment

We tithe, but do have the end-of-the-year printout from our church to show our contributions. I'd be very nervous about trying to claim it if you can't prove it.

You can add in medical expenses though--those co-pays and prescriptions can really add up, especially when you start thinking about vision & dental. IRS allows $60 a month for that.

Doesn't the IRS have 2 separate auto expense allowances? Vehicle operation expense and transportation ownership expense (this may only cover a car payment, don't know???).
                          Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
                          0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

Falcon-

What do you have on lines 19b, 27, 32 and 34 of the means test?
                            19B I have ZERO. Line 27 I have $15/month. Line 32 I have $30 and for line 34 I have ZERO....but I do purchase my own insurance and I dont go through my work. So I dont know which line to put this expense in. I only pay $70/month.

Comment

As is the case with most things, any big changes in the last 6 months may draw red flags. Tithing is completely normal but given your circumstances may be questioned. You'll most likely be fine, just might be looked into a bit more.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X