I can't decide!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't decide!

How do I decide on a lawyer?? I am getting stressed!
    I met with one towards the end of December. He was fine and I was going to use him. After sitting on it for a couple weeks I decided I better be smart and call some more. Luckily I did as this guy is out now (same price range, but they don't accept a fee to retain nor do they do payment plans. Nothing is done until you pay the full amount). I called 4 others and met with 3 of them (the 4th is the trustee for our county so he can't do our bk) this week (my husband was only able to come to one with me due to work so I am kind of on my own in deciding who we use since he has nothing other than what I tell him to base it on).

Lawyer #2 was around $100 cheaper and costs only $100 to retain. One of their lawyers will be at our 341 mtg with us. Said I need to include the Sams card that I am an authorized user on for my daughter's preschool (I didn't use the term authorized use though - so hoping he was confused - the next 2 lawyers said don't include it as I never see the bill). Said we can include our growing power bill that we are late on. Was somewhat confusing on our expected 3-4K t return as he said the partion we earn back for our 2 children is exempt (what about the rest of it though?)

Lawyer #3 was about $100 more than #1 and #4 and costs $250 to retain. There are 3 lawyers (family firm) nd he said HE will be there with me at the mtg. Thought that was a plus - our case should be easy other than we may be purchasing a cheap car with our tax return and would be nice for the lawyer we have done everything with to be with us jic that raises a red flag? All 3 of these last lawyers said it was fine to do that though. I forgot to ask him about the power bill. Said don't include the Sams card for preschool. Everything else with him was the same. He's very young - prob around my age and his mom works at the same company as me - very small and i never see her though as our jobs are completly different - hopefully he doesn't say anything to her though! I don't even know who she is somehow though.

Laywer #4 I loved on the phone and thought he would be a go - was so excited for my consultation with him this morning! Got there and kinda felt weird...I dunno, not sure what it was from the beginning. I think he does bk only too which I have heard is a plus and not the case for the other 3 lawyers I have met with. He was nice enough - it's his own office, he's the only one. His son works with him as his assistant or whatever. He said to use our tax return to pay off the power bill - not include it (we have lots of other stuff we need out return for though). Said don't include the Sams card for preschool. He's the same price as lawyer #1 (right in the middle of the other 2) and only $100 to retain. Everything else was the same as the rest for him really, but then at the end he was like well...there's one other thing. It worried me and then he was like no, I'm not going to tell you, well....yeah, maybe I should. I was like say it or don't you weirdo! He then told me he used to work with lawyer group #2. Said he got tired of how they work and left. They have commercial on TV that says file for only $500...then they smack the $299 court fee on top, then $150 to reaffirm the house, then $200 more for the car, then $ for this and that and before you know it you are paying them $1500... I was like uhm...okay... (He didn't know I had already met with them - or anyone else for that matter). I just thought that was really weird... I dunno. I loved that when I called him the first time they answered the phone at 4:58 and talked to me for like 10 mins himself and stuff though.

So...any tips on how to decide?! I am thinking it's between #2 and #3...
    Retained lawyer on 3/9/10
    Finally filed ch 7 on 10/29/10
    341 mtg on 12/1/10 hopefully

I don't think it's necessarily weird that #4 warned you of BK mills. He may have sensed you are engaged in the attorney interviewing process and offered a subtle warning of the services/costs that may affect you. My second consult attorney and I discussed this openly. She knew I was interviewing attorneys and I questioned her low fees. She explained her one-woman operation had very low overhead. She handled the majority of the paperwork, maintained a modest office, and had a limited staff.

I don't know the potential complexities of your case; however, I know many of us think our cases are ultra-unique. I learned I wasn't so special...a straight and easy C7.

You want to understand overall costs. Retainers don't mean much in the big scheme of things. Attorneys typically demand full payment prior to filing to avoid becoming unsecured creditors.

Knowledge is important. Experience is a factor. Personality weighs in as well. I selected my attorney based on these elements. Not only did he foster the knowledge and experience I desired, I knew he had the potential for a solid working relationship. I received direct and timely communication. Plus, he was willing to answer my (in retrospect) petty questions.

The interviewing process can be frustrating and stressful. This is especially true when opinions vary. Thankfully, as you move through this process, you gain knowledge and insight. I found presenting conflicting opinions (ex/ your electric bill, tax return, Sam's Club card) to different consult attorneys beneficial. The attorney I selected provided the most compelling rationale.

Here is a great article HHM shared with me while I was engaged in the interviewing process:

Celebrating 10 years of .xyz - over a decade of innovation! We are beginning the countdown to our decade-iversary! Over ten chapters, journey through a decade of innovation with .xyz. From its ambitious inception to quickly becoming a leader in the domain industry, each press release will unveil a year of .xyz’s history, challenges, and
    *Filed: September 23, 2009 *341: November 4, 2009 *Discharged: January 4, 2010 *Closed: January 20, 2010

Hakuna Matata...it means NO WORRIES!

Comment

I totally understand.

I've only interviewed two so far. And while I liked both...I don't know if they were the "perfect" fit for us.

I've been going on my own too as my husband hasn't been able to get time off from work to go, so I feel like I don't have feedback from anyone else whether the attorney was good or not.

I have another I was going to call this week and other things came up. So next week, I'm going to try the 3rd.

I'm so afraid of picking one and paying them and then all of the sudden they end up dropping the ball and screwing things up somehow.

Comment

I've had this issue, too. I started at a BK mill and then wound up there after two total interviews and two phone interviews... then decided to look around some more. I kept "hearing" all the advice from everyone here, "DO NOT GO TO A BK MILL!!!" So, I finally waited it out a week before paying the retainer fee. Then found one more I wanted to try. Went there and they are F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C!!! I am so glad I decided to listen to everyone here. He gave us totally different information from the BK mill, is charging us $1500 LESS than the BK mill - AND right from the start looked at the income, debt, and family size and said, "You have nothing to worry about. There's no way you can support a family of your size with that income." We then went through the entire process and are on our way to a happy chapter 7 with absolutely no more doubt about who we will choose.. just finally feels right.

I guess that's how it is for everyone? When you find the right one, you just know you have. If you don't have that feeling - keep looking!!
        Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
        Statement of Presumed abuse filed 707(b) 05/03
        Statement of Non-Abuse filed!!
        Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

I think you need to first decide who you are confident in. Take the cost of the attorney services out of the equation. Rate them best to last. If you like one attorney but there are some things you didn't like then call them up and tell them you met with 4 attorneys and you liked them.. but here are your concerns before you chose them. See what they say.

Comment

Thanks for the replies! The cost isn't really a factor as the only difference between the highest to lowest for all of them is like $200. I do want one that will loow us to retain them to get the calls to get some of the calls to stop (I know it will only hold some of them off for a bit, but we have 30 credit cards, so the phone rings nonstop - I have the ringers turned off and answer when I feel like it). This will make my husband less stressed out over it all if he knows they aren't calling all the time.
            I liked that lawyer #4 also went over what I should put as some of the costs down like groceries, car and home maintence as I was clueless and he told me a higher number than I would have thought to put, so that was helpful. He's the bk only guy too...but...something just felt kinda weird... I dunno! Arg... I guess I may call some more, but it's hard as my husband works a lot and my mom needs to babysit the girls for me while I go and I have to work it around my work and our other appts so it's a hastle.
            Retained lawyer on 3/9/10
            Finally filed ch 7 on 10/29/10
            341 mtg on 12/1/10 hopefully

Comment

Looking Ahead,

I think our decisions to hire or not hire a particular attorney are pretty subjective. I want my attorney at my 341, not "one of our" attorneys. That's just my desire, based on my personal experience, and is a decided prejudice on my part.

Based on my personal criteria, I'd hire attorney #4 without hesitation. If I was getting a funny feeling about him, I'd ask him why I might be having that feeling. (I'm past middle age and not particularly timid.)

My primary criteria, again based on my own personal experience and resulting prejudices were:
              1) Accessibility. My attorney has one secretary and answers his own phone when she is not there. I have made it my business to develop a cordial relationship with his secretary, as I speak with her more often than I do with him.
              2) Experience. My attorney has 30 years of BK practice.
              3) Cordial relations with local trustee(s). My attorney has all of those 30 years experience in the same location. (If you've not had prior experience with the judicial system, please realize that those who do this for a living interact frequently, just as any co-workers within any workplace. You want your attorney to be one who "plays well with others".)

Unfortunately, my prior life experience is such that I can state unequivocally that I would not, under any circumstances, hire an attorney for one type of case who did not specialize in that area of practice.

The link Hakuna Matata provided gives what I consider to be good advice.

Again, my preferences are decidedly prejudiced. You should do what you believe will be in your best interest.

And my least favorite activity is finding the right professionals of any kind for us. (I do think finding a suitable attorney is easier than finding a really good dentist, and even that's easier than finding a really good optometrist.) You're right; this is a hassle.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X