Did I Hire an Attorney?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I Hire an Attorney?

I was asked for payment before seeing or signing the client/attorney agreement. No funds have yet been deducted from my account, and I have yet to sign on the dotted line (nor has the attorney). Does verbal commitment to proceed (and giving them my card number so they can deduct funds from my account) mean that I am contractually obligated to proceed? Thanks.

You are never obligated to proceed. You can back out anytime. Although written fee agreements are not formally required, I cannot think of an attorney who wouldn't use one.

Why did you give payment when you were not ready.

Comment

It wasn't stated outright, but I was left with the impression that they would not send me the paperwork to sign unless I gave them a means of paying the partial fee upfront right then and there.

Comment

delete
        Last edited by ApresMoi; 02-03-2010, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Im sorry, I know nothing about the legal system and very little about this whole process but do yourselfe a favor and FIRE that attorny and get one that does not leave you in a lurch. Just My Opinion
          Filed CH7 Feb 12 2010
          341 March 18
          Discharged...May 18
          Awaiting closing...

Comment

I met with my attorney twice before I gave him his fee. He told us verbally what would be in the agreement. But I didn't get a copy that day. We signed the agreement when we came back and went over all of the completed forms. I thought it was a good arrangement. I wounldn't expect him to fill out all of the forms without some type of payment, but I had a chance to see the quality of his work (putting the paperwork together) before I actually signed the agreement. I know if I had backed out he would keep some of the money to cover the costs incurred, but I was comfortable with the situation. I'm sure if I had asked for the the written agreement before I gave him the check he would have agreed, but I didn't feel it was necessary.
            Wife Laid off - 11/16/2009 Missed First Payments - 12/5/2009
            Filed Chap 7 - 12/31/2009
            341 - 2/12/2010
            Discharged - 4/19/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X