Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trustee wants my vehicle appraised

Hi Everyone,

I had my 341 meeting yesterday, and it was not as stressful as I had thought it was going to be. Everything went well, but the trustee told me that I need to take the vehicle to the local dealership for an appraisal. Has anyone here done this before, and if so, do the dealers charge a fee for appraisals?

Thanks for any help that you can offer.

Thats weird. I just went to NADA and KBB and got my car value.
    Filed Chapter 7 - 12/16/2009
    341 Meeting - 1/26/2010 - done!
    Last day for objections - 2/25/2010
    Discharged 3/31/2010

Comment

What kind of car is it?
      Attorney Retained/Paid: 1-4-10
      Online CCC-Completed & Cert Received: 1-8-10
      Filed Chapter 7 1-18-10.
      341 3-10-10 ~~~ Last Day to Object: 5-10-10

Comment

It's a 2003 Ford Expedition that I own free and clear. I was told to bring it to the Ford dealer for an appraisal. The value that I placed on the vehicle was from KBB, and I think might be more than what the dealer will value it at. So the appraisal will probably actually help me.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyG123 View Post
          Hi Everyone,

I had my 341 meeting yesterday, and it was not as stressful as I had thought it was going to be. Everything went well, but the trustee told me that I need to take the vehicle to the local dealership for an appraisal. Has anyone here done this before, and if so, do the dealers charge a fee for appraisals?

Thanks for any help that you can offer.
          What state are you in? I was told to get KBB 'trade in' value.

Comment

I'm in Florida and used the KBB value, but the Trustee specifically asked for me to take it to the dealership.

Comment

Probably because we are only allowed $1000 in vehicle equity in FL (Motor vehicle to $1,000 Fla. Stat. Ann. � 222.25)

Do you happen to be in the Middle District of Fl (BK district)?

See this link to verify FL auto exemptions http://www.legalconsumer.com/bankrup...ee%2C+FL#other
              Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
              Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Asking a dealer to appraise your vehicle is a rather ambiguous demand. Does he want retail, trade-in, wholesale, auction? I would certainly ask the dealer to appraise it at your most favorable method.
                Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Our trustee sent us to his own appraiser. The value was fair. I would try a car auction if they will let you, they should be able to appraise it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
                    Asking a dealer to appraise your vehicle is a rather ambiguous demand. Does he want retail, trade-in, wholesale, auction? I would certainly ask the dealer to appraise it at your most favorable method.
                    Exactly.

There is not necessarily anything nefarious going on here. Given the recent market shifts anyone who uses KBB or some such guide for a car appraisal needs to have their head examined. Those numbers can be off by 100% or more.

In my extensive experience the people that have the closest values to true market is Galves. (http://www.galves.com/). I would call around and ask for a dealer that uses their values.

You want the auction value. This is the value that will accrue to the BK estate.
                    So the poor debtor, seeing naught around him
                    Yet feels the narrow limits that impound him
                    Grieves at his debt and studies to evade it
                    And finds at last he might as well have paid it.

Comment

Only $1,000 in equity? That's horrible. We get $15k in equity per filer in Nevada and a $550k home equity exemption. I guess Florida gets unlimited home equity though, but still, $1k is nothing.

I'm in discussions with a local mechanic shop to provide me with fixed fee mechanical appraisals for vehicles. My idea is that if I get a vehicle appraisal from the dealer I can then have the mechanic provide me with details as to what is mechanically wrong, unsafe, and needs to be fixed before it can be sold without potential liability. Then I'd offset that from the dealer appraisal to come to a final value.
                      I haven't had to do that yet since most of my client's don't have $15k equity in their car(s) yet.

--William
                      I am an attorney, but I am just not your attorney.
                      As such, any statement is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship.

Comment

I would go to the used car manager at the dealership an ask him what he would give me for it. That would the true price. They will buy it from you for a price low enough that they can take it to the auction and make a few hundred dollars.

I know this is not what the trustee is looking for, but if the dealer is not willing to buy it for the price he quotes you, then it's obviously no the fair market value of the car.
                        Wife Laid off - 11/16/2009 Missed First Payments - 12/5/2009
                        Filed Chap 7 - 12/31/2009
                        341 - 2/12/2010
                        Discharged - 4/19/2010

Comment

I get my car appraised every year because we have property taxes on vehicles and the county always appraises the value high.

They don't charge for it and it takes about 5 minutes. It is typically done by the used car manager.

Comment

Do you have a Carmax out there? We just sold them one of our cars and they appraised the second car (all for free). I'm keeping the written certificate to show the value when I go to file. It's updside down anyway so I guess it might not matter.

Comment

Originally posted by BKDefender View Post
                              I'm in discussions with a local mechanic shop to provide me with fixed fee mechanical appraisals for vehicles. My idea is that if I get a vehicle appraisal from the dealer I can then have the mechanic provide me with details as to what is mechanically wrong, unsafe, and needs to be fixed before it can be sold without potential liability. Then I'd offset that from the dealer appraisal to come to a final value.
                              Brilliant,

I wish I lived in NV I would hire you, you are really looking out for the consumer and taking those extra steps. That has inspired me do the same upon valuing my car in my 13, I will have to share that with my eventual counsel.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X