top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lawsuit dismissed after filing for chapter 7....why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lawsuit dismissed after filing for chapter 7....why?

I was sued by a Houston lawyer for BOA. I had received the summons 12-30-2009. So I had no choice but to file for chapter 7 on Feb 1, 2009. I faxed the lawyer with my bankruptcy case number. Now the lawyer has sent a notice of "non-suit and dismissal". Looks like they are "un-suing" me if I understand all this correctly. Why would they do that?
    Last edited by Flatbroke1; 02-03-2010, 09:58 AM.
    File Date Feb 1, 2010
    341 Mar 8, 2010
    Discharged and closed May 10, 2010
    Being very careful and wise with fresh start!......Living happily ever after since!

Why do you think they wouldn't "unsue" you?
    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

That is what I am wondering.....I have already filed for chapter 7 and have no assets....perhaps if they would have left the suit pending with the court at some point there would have been extra costs involved for them. So, I suppose they dropped the suit to not "throw good money after bad".....?
      File Date Feb 1, 2010
      341 Mar 8, 2010
      Being very careful and wise with fresh start!......Living happily ever after since!

Comment

They dropped the suit because the debt will be discharged upon the completion of your BK and they can't legally come after you for the debt
        Filed: July 31, 2009
        341: September 4, 2009
        60 days: November 3, 2009
        DISCHARGED!: November 6, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Flatbroke1 View Post
          That is what I am wondering.....I have already filed for chapter 7 and have no assets....perhaps if they would have left the suit pending with the court at some point there would have been extra costs involved for them. So, I suppose they dropped the suit to not "throw good money after bad".....?
          The attorney was probably handling the case as a collector. Once there is nothing to collect he has no interest in you.
          Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

They HAD to drop the suit, or risk being penalized in major fashion, possibly as far as being disbarred, or huge financial sanctions against them.

When you filed CH 7, a federal law went into play for you, which requires ALL collection actions to cease. The lawsuit was a collections action. They dropped the suit because they do not want to be yanked in front of a federal judge to explain why they continue to violate the law.

You are, during the CH 7, protected by the "Automatic Stay". This means that the collectors hands are "stayed". That is, they cannot pursue you for debt. In the event a creditor has a secured asset involved, they would ask the court for "Relief From The Automatic Stay" so they could pursue the asset and protect their interest in the secured asset. This would apply to homes, cars, real estate, etc.

If your CH 7 proceeds as usual and you are discharged, they will never again be able to collect on the debt. Any future attempt to is illegal. Should this occur, you can sue them and win money.
            11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
            12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
            3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

Okay, I knew the bankrupcty would take care of lawsuits and judgements, but I didn't realize they'd actually have to DROP the lawsuit.....what you said makes sense. I just didn't know if they were dropping it with the plan of doing something sinister, like showing up at the 341 or contesting or something.
              File Date Feb 1, 2010
              341 Mar 8, 2010

Comment

Filing for BK is like opening a big can of whoop ass on those state court collection lawsuits.
                filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Originally posted by DeadManCrawling View Post
                  They HAD to drop the suit, or risk being penalized in major fashion, possibly as far as being disbarred, or huge financial sanctions against them.
                  But do they have to actually drop the suit? Or just let it hang in there in case the ch7 is dismissed? I understand a 'suggestion of bankruptcy' is filed by the lawyer in answer to the summons. I have no idea what this means.

Comment

Originally posted by catleg View Post
                    Filing for BK is like opening a big can of whoop ass on those state court collection lawsuits.
                    Now that's one funny way to put it!

Comment

They don't have to drop the lawsuit. They would file a 'suggestion of bankruptcy' with the court and the court would 'pause' the case. They just let it hang there waiting for your BK case to be dismissed if you mess up your BK case. If it gets dismissed they press 'play' and keep going. But if you successfully get your discharge then you would file the discharge with the court handling the lawsuit and that court would then dismiss the case permanently.

I don't know why the collections attorney dismissed the case unless it's their policy to do so.

--William
                      Last edited by BKDefender; 02-04-2010, 07:02 PM. Reason: the=they
                      I am an attorney, but I am just not your attorney.
                      As such, any statement is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship.

Comment

Yes, the suggestion of bankruptcy is another avenue. I have heard of them being filed, but it's somewhat rare, at least in my district.

Ad, yes, they are pressing the "pause" button. If your case is dismissed, they start where they left off.

In our area, I suppose the dismissal rate is low enough that most collectors just drop the suits. There isn't any upside for them. It is their call, I guess, but they apparently do not have successful outcomes here very often, and usually just dismiss.
                        11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
                        12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
                        3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X