question about rental lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about rental lease

I am in a lease with the home I am renting until September. We are trying to find out what would be the best option for us to pursue. Should we add the lease into our bankruptcy and let the landlord know we will not be continuing the lease or should we stick it out and continue the lease. We were thinking that by continuing we would have at least a good reference for the next place that we stay.

Does anyone know what the guidelines are when it comes to this? If we include the lease, how long do we have before we have to move out? Will we then not owe anything to the landlord?

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't try to stay in a rental/lease without paying if you have the ability to do so for two reasons. 1) If the landlord is not a large corporation, I would feel guilty shorting someone who is probably just trying to make his payments and stay afloat just like me. 2) You are going to have to rent somewhere when you move out of this place, and I'm sure it will make it alot harder to get a decent place if you stiffed your last landlord.
    Wife Laid off - 11/16/2009 Missed First Payments - 12/5/2009
    Filed Chap 7 - 12/31/2009
    341 - 2/12/2010
    Discharged - 4/19/2010

Comment

I wasn't planning on stiffing the landlord. Our initial plan is to stay in the lease. I was just wondering what other options I need to consider before moving forward.

Comment

Originally posted by c24h44o22 View Post
        I wasn't planning on stiffing the landlord. Our initial plan is to stay in the lease. I was just wondering what other options I need to consider before moving forward.
        There is an option on your petition to reaffirm your lease. It is a checkbox. If you check that box, then the landlord is notified of your bankruptcy, but is also notified that you intend to reaffirm the lease.
        You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

If you can afford it, stick it out and pay the landlord. The small/independent landlords are hurting worse than you are.
          All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
          Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X