Notice to Creditors - Return to Sender?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice to Creditors - Return to Sender?

I will be listing a relative as a creditor. The address I have for them was current as of a few months ago, which is the last time I had contact with them. I know they were planning to buy a home and move.

If the court sends them a creditor's notice to a place where they are no longer living, could this create problems or delays with my case? I didn't know if the courts would require a signature. If the notice is sent regular mail and no signature is required, I assume it would be forwarded to their new address if they have moved.

I would ask the relative for the current info, but we are not on speaking terms (they do not approve of the BK). The amount of money I owe them is small, and they will get repaid regardless of the BK (I have already let them know that).

There is a small risk they would do something out of spite, and perhaps mark the envelope 'return to sender' even if they did get it. If so, would this cause a delay in my BK proceedings?

Just trying to figure out if this is a situation I should invest time in trying to smooth over.

Thank you.

If you are not on speaking terms and you fear they may take some punitive actions out of spite why would you want to repay them post-bk?
    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

The notices are sent by regular mail--no signatures are needed. If they have indeed moved by the time you file BK, if they left a forwarding address at the post office, it will be forwarded to the new address. These usually expire after six months.

Be sure that you do not pay them back until after the BK is discharged. You do not want the trustee going after them for an 'insider' payment.

Good luck!
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
        The notices are sent by regular mail--no signatures are needed. If they have indeed moved by the time you file BK, if they left a forwarding address at the post office, it will be forwarded to the new address. These usually expire after six months.

Be sure that you do not pay them back until after the BK is discharged. You do not want the trustee going after them for an 'insider' payment.

Good luck!
        Whew! Glad they don't need to be there to sign for it. I should be OK, then, as I'm hoping to file next month. Yes, I know about the rule not to pay them before the BK, but thank you for mentioning it.

And Ohio, good question...I can see why you might ask that. I will pay them back to settle my own conscience. I hope they learn to become more tolerant.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X