Any encouragement out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is my first posting since finding this forum - I posted this in the "BK preplanning" thread too-----great information. Wish I had seen it a year ago.

While I understand the pre planning ideas (i.e. have a place to live and have some transportation) ===I know I won't have either. I scheduled a consult this week on a possible chapter 7.

I was laid off in 2007, and kept myself going with temporary jobs (at half the pay) and periodic withdrawals from my IRA. My IRA is almost shot now - but I was able to make my minimum payments and keep up all except the mortgage for quite some time. What I didn't lose in the market I lived on for the past 2 1/2 years. I am getting unemployment (meager, based on my part time job of last year) but it expires in March. It is $1000/month. For the first time in my life I have no medical insurance.

I stopped paying the mortgage some time ago, and can't find any employment. I've been on at least 100 interviews, but no luck. It isn't easy to get hired when you are over 60.

I am sure my condo will be foreclosed on and I will have a bankruptcy on my record if I qualify for Chapter 7. Scary.

Who's going to rent an apartment to me when I have no steady income?
    I'm running out of money. I wish now I hadn't spent all my savings to pay all my creditors for the last 2 1/2 years.

Are you eligible for Social Security benefits?

I'm sure there are plenty of agencies in your area who are able and willing to help you with your needs.

I'm sure it seems daunting looking for a job in this economy as an older person but there are employers out there who will gladly take an older person with a strong work ethic. It may not be in the field you want but trying times like these require compromise.

Best of luck to you. Stay positive as your attitude is reflected in your interactions with potential employers whether you realize it or not.
    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Thanks for your response -
      I cannot apply for Social Security yet, not until I am 62 in 2011. Also many of the senior apartments (subsidized) I'd hoped to get on a waiting list for won't take me because I have to be 62 to get on the waiting list, and they are 6 to 18 months long. Most of our counties' Section 8 lists are closed. They have told me it is a 3 to 5 year wait and they have enough people.

I am trying to stay positive but it is hard. I don't sleep at night. It breaks my heart to lose this condo, but I cannot keep this up.

Thanks again for your advice. I will see what the attorney says ------------

Comment

I hope you get some peace of mind when you meet with the attorney. Are there any relatives you can stay with temporarily, until you find a job (if it comes to you losing your condo)?
        Facing a BK is tough, but the important thing is securing a job and place to live. Best of luck to you...don't give up on the job search...look outside your normal "comfort zone"...update your resume and try temp agencies...if you can just find something to get you on your feet again you can always keep looking for something better. :-)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X