Need advice please..heater went out gonna cost us big moola

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice please..heater went out gonna cost us big moola

We have 2-15 Seer Train AC units for our house have no idea what that means but its gonna cost us some big money!!! The heat went out lastnight and we all froze! Kids came in to our bed at 2am, they felt like popcicles!

Anyway here is my problem... The guy said it will cost us 1,700. to get them running... but he will give me a discount of 200. if I pay him cash! I know he will give me a recipt of the work done but wont that look bad if I get 1,500. cash out of our account? We are in process of filing, will file in March. That 200. savings is a weeks worth of groc...

My husband says heck yea pay the guy cash. I just dont know.. should I write a check, pay extra just to be safe when I file????

As long as you get a receipt for the money, I don't see where it matters.

Heat is a necessary item, it isn't looked at as a luxury item.
    (although it feels like luxury when it is cold out!)

Best of luck.
    8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
    11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with drawing out $1500 in cash with you have a receipt to show where the money went. Nobody will question you fixing a heater.
      Stopped Payings CC's: 8/14/2009 | Retained Attorney: 9/23/2009 | Filed CH 7: 12/7/2009 | 341 Meeting: 1/21/2010 - Complete | Discharged: 4/9/2010
      "One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth."

Comment

$1700.00??? What did he say is wrong with it? What does your estimate say? It could be as simple as a 5.00 part.......
        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
        Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

I agree with Frogger...get some other estimates from other HVAC contractors! BTW it seems very odd to me that both units would go out simultaneously.
          Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
          Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

I thoght it was high too... I had a friend who know about AC units and stuff and he said most of it is labor. And that he was giving me a fair price.

One AC went out on the side of my house where the kids sleep. It has major repairs to it. My husband said its like the engine blown out on the car... It is cheaper to buy a new engine then it is to buy a new car. The guy also says if we dont service the other one NOW that he is sure it will go out too. Servicing the AC is much cheaper then fixn it when its broke. That 2nd AC unit still works but has some fixn up to do. I know on the 2nd AC he has to replace the wires coming out of it. My dog dug it up and chewed on it, not bad enough to where it stop working but mostly a hazard. My estimate is a freakn page long.

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
              $1700.00??? What did he say is wrong with it? What does your estimate say? It could be as simple as a 5.00 part.......
              This is so true. Had a HVAC guy try to charge me $248 to replace a $13 pressure valve on a water heater. I told him that I had replaced the water heater myself 5 years ago for a little more than $275.
              Stopped Payings CC's: 8/14/2009 | Retained Attorney: 9/23/2009 | Filed CH 7: 12/7/2009 | 341 Meeting: 1/21/2010 - Complete | Discharged: 4/9/2010
              "One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth."

Comment

Originally posted by sufferingAZ View Post
                We have 2-15 Seer Train AC units for our house have no idea what that means but its gonna cost us some big money!!! The heat went out lastnight and we all froze! Kids came in to our bed at 2am, they felt like popcicles!

Anyway here is my problem... The guy said it will cost us 1,700. to get them running... but he will give me a discount of 200. if I pay him cash! I know he will give me a recipt of the work done but wont that look bad if I get 1,500. cash out of our account? We are in process of filing, will file in March. That 200. savings is a weeks worth of groc...

My husband says heck yea pay the guy cash. I just dont know.. should I write a check, pay extra just to be safe when I file????
                Visit Ohio some winter to understand what cold really is! Our A/C units are not used to heat the home. We hardly use them during the summer either.

I'd definitely look for another quote or 2.
                Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

I totaly need to get a 2nd quote. I do wish I knew someone who can work on it. My husband is the "pay the man" kinda guy. "Pay the man" and move on. I do love my kids but they are way to big to be sleeping with us...

And HECK NO visting Ohio is way out of the question! We are DESERT PEOPLE. The cold weather is death to us... We enjoy our 110. temps! LOL if it gets below 50. we hibernate!

Comment

Ah yep... other quote more money. 1856 sooooo 1500 is still my best bet... So looks like I am getting cash and "pay the man". I will keep my recipte and hold on to it for dear life!

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
                      Visit Ohio some winter to understand what cold really is! Our A/C units are not used to heat the home. We hardly use them during the summer either.

I'd definitely look for another quote or 2.
                      But people in Ohio have awesome furnaces. We have to settle for the crappy awful heating setting on our AC unit. Thank goodness the cold rarely lasts in Louisiana. Bring on the 90 F temps and 100% humidity!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X