top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Buy TV & DVD player: Will they want these back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Buy TV & DVD player: Will they want these back?

Hi,

My wife and I are filing CH7 before the end of this month. Last February, we purchased a 40" LCD TV on an 18-month promotion (goodbye to those!) and have been paying the minimum up until two months ago. Yesterday our attorney asked if our balance with Best Buy was tied up exclusively with the TV. We didn't know. In researching it I found another purchase (on promotion) made in 08... a DVD player.

Since we've paid out very little to Best Buy on these items, are they likely to want them back? Honestly it would be fine. The balance is $1330.

Thanks

Likely not. There is little value in used consumer electronics.
    What'll likely happen is post discharge they'll sell the account to Bass and Associates and they'll try and get you to negotiate something. Just ignore them and eventually they'll bother someone else.

Comment

If they make a claim most of the time it is a bluff to see if they can get you to make a settlement offer. If they do l would just tell them they can have their junk, you'll probably never hear from them again. The costs associated with repossession just aren't worth the hassle in your case.

Comment

That happened to us with a laptop purchased from Best Buy. Automatically Bass & Assoc will send a letter. Ignore it, this will go away. Haven't heard anything else from them and I have heard from others that they send a letter to everyone hoping someone will bite.

Comment

I never got a BASS and ASS letter, its been charged off now, if they want their stuff, they can come get it, I will let my 1 year old play with all of it first.

Comment

Truck title

When I file for chapter 7 against my 1st, 2nd, and credit card, can they come after my truck which is paid for ? There are two names on the title, mine and my Dads.

Comment

Originally posted by optimistic1 View Post
              I never got a BASS and ASS letter, its been charged off now, if they want their stuff, they can come get it, I will let my 1 year old play with all of it first.
              I needed a little laugh.
              Chapter 13 filer since Feb. 2018 under a 60 months payment plan
              Please think positive and do not give up!

Comment

Originally posted by ForumReader View Post
                I needed a little laugh.
                Now you know what those "Open Box" specials are all about!
                November 2, 2009: Filed Chapter 7, December 10, 2009: 341 Done! January 11, 2010 Last Day for Objections! February 9, 2010 Discharged!!! February 12, 2010 Case Closed, MyFico on 11/09: 550, Now: 715!

Comment

Originally posted by rambow View Post
                  When I file for chapter 7 against my 1st, 2nd, and credit card, can they come after my truck which is paid for ? There are two names on the title, mine and my Dads.
                  No

If you can exempt the value of your truck in bankruptcy and you own it free and clear then other creditors cannot take it. The problem comes in when you have an expensive car that has more equity in it than you can protect. In those cases the trustee could take it, sell it, give you the exempt amount in cash, and pay your creditors the rest (or let you buy it from the trustee strangely enough.)

I have yet to have that happen though, at least not in Nevada, since we have $15k in equity per BK filer.

--William
                  I am an attorney, but I am just not your attorney.
                  As such, any statement is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X