No announcement yet.

WARNING to recently discharged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So far this "warning" has about the same level of believability to me as any other urban legend. I've heard about it here and seen it in one news article... but have yet to have heard of anyone this has actually happened to. Considering making an ATTEMPT to collect discharged debt is illegal then is seems to me that even SENDING an offer like this would be illegal.

Not that it isn't a good idea to read the fine print of ANYTHING you sign, but I just have a difficult time believing this.

Personally, I think that this whole thing comes out of the fact that credit card companies do try to get you to reaffirm debt prior to discharge by offering you new credit.
    Filed Ch. 7 Pro-Se: 10/12/06
    341: 11/6/06 (went AMAZINGLY well!)
    Discharge: 1/12/07
    Closed:1/19/07

Comment

Okay, this is how I understand this issue works............

Say you have a Chase Card...... you file bk and get it discharged......

A year from now Chase offers you another credit card or you apply for one with them......

By accepting the new card from them, when you sign the new agreement (in the fine print of course).... it states that you are giving them "permission" to attach any and all past debts that you may have incurred with them in the past...

In other words, as part of the agreement to get the new card, you "agree" and are "asking" them to attach any "old debt" (no matter what kind) to the new card and you will pay it - just to get a new card with them......

Remember, THEY ARE NOT reaffirming a debt, nor are they asking you to pay it or are they trying to collect it (that's against the law)....... YOU ARE THE ONE telling them you give permission to attach the debt to the new account as part of the agreement to get the new card.

Catchy situtation there...... remember THEY ARE NOT ATTEMPTING TO COLLECT AN OLD DEBT - it's all done at YOUR REQUEST..............

I've seen this issue discussed twice now.... once on a news program and once in a news article..

I've been checking all offers I've been receiving for such an incident.... haven't found one yet.....

BUT a lot of the new offers include a clause that say "even if you file bankruptcy" you will still be liable for the debt...... INTERESTING..... (wonder how that will hold up in Bankruptcy Court.....?

SO BEWARE - READ THE FINE PRINT...............
      Last edited by Minnymouth; 07-13-2006, 06:09 AM.
      Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

Interesting is the fact that if it has been discharged, legally there IS no old debt for them to add to anything.

Comment

YES,

LEGALLY THERE IS NO OLD DEBT.............. that would be a very interesting issue bought up in court why they added it to the new card................

Hello lawsuit...............
          Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X