student loans- i used "search" this wasn't addressed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

student loans- i used "search" this wasn't addressed

I have a question about student loans. I used search and advanced search but nothing regarding this particular question came up.

I have decided to file and I have a question about student loans. I'm still in school so all of my student loans are deferment and listed in good standing. One of the loans is a private loan through Sallie Mae that my brother co-signed for. I saw in some of the threads that I searched issues where once people filed Sallie Mae no longer spoke to them. Does this also apply for loans that are in good standing? Since they can't be discharged and I'll be teaching in a school with loan forgiveness anyway I don't plan to include them in the BK. But I'm concerned about my brother being adversely affected. He always does everything in his power to help me and I do not want his credit score affected by MY problems. Does anyone know if co-signers get negative items on their credit reports from any of the 3 agencies when someone they helped files BK even if the item isn't included?

Respectfully,
    Elle

PS- I am also wondering if anyone has an idea of the timeline from file to discharge in MD. I heard six months is typical for MD but a lawyer that my mom spoke with to get information for me in NY said 3 months. Does it matter where you file as long as you can go to meet with the lawyer and attend the 341? (I'm in school in MD and all of my debt was incurred here but my permanent address is in NY). I want to apply in whichever state is fastest. If anyone has any recommendations for a good BK lawyer in Maryland please pm me with information if you don't mind sharing.

Originally posted by girlthree View Post
    . I saw in some of the threads that I searched issues where once people filed Sallie Mae no longer spoke to them. Does this also apply for loans that are in good standing?
    Yes. They consider any contact a violation of the automatic stay that comes with BK.
    So the poor debtor, seeing naught around him
    Yet feels the narrow limits that impound him
    Grieves at his debt and studies to evade it
    And finds at last he might as well have paid it.

Comment

Does anyone know if co-signers get negative items on their credit reports from any of the 3 agencies when someone they helped files BK even if the item isn't included?
      It should not affect your brothers credit score in any way so long as the loan remains in good standing.
      So the poor debtor, seeing naught around him
      Yet feels the narrow limits that impound him
      Grieves at his debt and studies to evade it
      And finds at last he might as well have paid it.

Comment

Thanks so much DST1.

Do you know what happens after the discharge to good standing student loan accounts? Basically, I'm wondering if things just resume as normal with them after the BK.

Comment

Thanks so much DST1.

Do you know what happens after the discharge to good standing student loan accounts? Basically, I'm wondering if things just resume as normal with them after the BK.
          Yes, they will go back to normal standing on your credit report, instead of "suspended" standing, and you will be able to pay them online again. Once I was discharged, this is what happened to my student loans.
          You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
            Yes, they will go back to normal standing on your credit report, instead of "suspended" standing, and you will be able to pay them online again. Once I was discharged, this is what happened to my student loans.
            Do they go back to normal standing after the bk is discharged or after it is closed? Sometimes those can be far apart.

Comment

Originally posted by tdawg View Post
              Do they go back to normal standing after the bk is discharged or after it is closed? Sometimes those can be far apart.
              After discharge. My case is still not closed.

Comment

So you are still waiting for Elmer Fudd to say, "Uh bub a da bub da bub...that's all folks!"
                Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
                  So you are still waiting for Elmer Fudd to say, "Uh bub a da bub da bub...that's all folks!"

From what I can tell, Elmer has washed his sweaty, stubby hands of me.

He filed his final report, and put the asset money in a court account to be paid to my creditors, and then the creditors were sent a copy of the final report with their payout amounts and they have 21 days to object. I think I am just waiting out the 21 days at this point.

Comment

Did you have to contact the lender to get the status changed or did it just happen? And how long after discharge did it take?

Comment

thanks so much everyone for all of your advice!!

Comment

Originally posted by tdawg View Post
                        Did you have to contact the lender to get the status changed or did it just happen? And how long after discharge did it take?
                        I did not have to contact the lender, it automatically happened after my discharge. It took less than a month.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X