Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't pay the credit card and...

the world didn't come to an end.
    Last Friday, for the first time ever, we did not pay our minimum amount due. We could not do it and keep the electricity on and food on the table.
    The minimum amount due was astronomical, because we accidentally went $100 over the limit in January. A miscalculation, partially due to the fact that they had just (for no reason) raised the APR by a big %. So then of course we had the over the limit fee too, and the amount they said was our minimum due was twice the amount of our previous payment.
    I paid them $100, and that was a stretch for us. There will be others due soon that we can't afford the minimums on either, but this was the first, and I had to take a deep breath when I was paying the $100 online and it flashed a big red warning message at me that it was not enough to cover the minimum due. And they are already calling as of this morning(not leaving a message, but I googled the phone #). But guess what? Nothing terrible happened. And in all probability, nothing worse than some phone calls and threatening letters will happen between now and the time we file.
    So, just to reassure those of you who know you will be filing BK, have cut every luxury item/service from your lifestyle that you can, and are pulling your hair out or losing sleep trying to figure out a way to keep paying the CCs as long as possible, do yourself a favor and put your family first, as so many wise people on this board recommend. Of course DH and I recognize and accept the fact that we never should have used credit to begin with and then we wouldn't be in this mess, but I'm done losing sleep over CC companies who got huge bailouts with taxpayer money and, in return, starting raising rates and fees, even for customers who had never even been late on a payment. We will go through the BK, learn to pay as we go (which we are already doing as of last month), and raise our children to do the same.
    Life not only goes on, it gets better, I'm certain of it.

Originally posted by Overmihead View Post
    ==
    I paid them $100, and that was a stretch for us. There will be others due soon that we can't afford the minimums on either, but this was the first, and I had to take a deep breath when I was paying the $100 online and it flashed a big red warning message at me that it was not enough to cover the minimum due.
    You are on the right track, and I wish you the best!

Just one thing bothered me... Why did you pay them $100? As far as they are concerned you didn't pay at all (since you didn't pay the minimum).

If you know you are going to have to file you are throwing your money away by making any payments. You need to use that to live on and to save!
    Filed CH13 - 06/2009
    Confirmed - 01/2010

Comment

Originally posted by forgotten View Post
      You are on the right track, and I wish you the best!

Just one thing bothered me... Why did you pay them $100? As far as they are concerned you didn't pay at all (since you didn't pay the minimum).

If you know you are going to have to file you are throwing your money away by making any payments. You need to use that to live on and to save!
      Thanks, forgotten

And I know, I know. The $100 might as well be nothing to them. DH just couldn't quite stomach going right to -$0- this month. We are both very stressed right now, and if this was going to make him feel better, I wasn't going to fight him on it.

Comment

Yeah, exactly. I would have sooner set that $100 bill on fire for heat or something. Just say NO to paying that unsecured debt if you know you are going to file AND IF you didn't buy any luxury items with the credit cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Overmihead View Post
          Thanks, forgotten

And I know, I know. The $100 might as well be nothing to them. DH just couldn't quite stomach going right to -$0- this month. We are both very stressed right now, and if this was going to make him feel better, I wasn't going to fight him on it.
          Next month buy him something "fun" for $50 and save the other $50. That should make him feel even better. ;)
          Filed CH13 - 06/2009
          Confirmed - 01/2010

Comment

Yeah, same here. All had me opting out of account's 29 percent (which I will get anyways) so they are useless. I stopped paying three of them in December,a nd two more this month. Lots of phone calls. Almost no mail. Bought a 15 dollar prepaid before i stopped paying and shut the ringer off. Almost no one leaves messages. GE has the last two times, but I have not bothered calling back. Last GE person was a prick and flat out refused to put anything in writing but expected me to pay "in good faith" because "I signed a contract" (which was promptly changed by them). BoA promised me a payment plan in writing...that was two weeks ago. I wasn't sure what my plan would be when I started, but I know every financial expert says the same thing: never pay without getting it in writing. However, they don't like contracts they can't change at will. So of course they don't, and I won't pay.

Guess what? The world will not come to an end and I actually freed up over 1300 in cash by stopping five minimums. Now I am putting things off for as long as possible, taking my time shopping for an attorney, and putting money aside.
            First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

Originally posted by flyinbroke View Post
              Yeah, same here. All had me opting out of account's 29 percent (which I will get anyways) so they are useless. I stopped paying three of them in December,a nd two more this month. Lots of phone calls. Almost no mail. Bought a 15 dollar prepaid before i stopped paying and shut the ringer off. Almost no one leaves messages. GE has the last two times, but I have not bothered calling back. Last GE person was a prick and flat out refused to put anything in writing but expected me to pay "in good faith" because "I signed a contract" (which was promptly changed by them). BoA promised me a payment plan in writing...that was two weeks ago. I wasn't sure what my plan would be when I started, but I know every financial expert says the same thing: never pay without getting it in writing. However, they don't like contracts they can't change at will. So of course they don't, and I won't pay.

Guess what? The world will not come to an end and I actually freed up over 1300 in cash by stopping five minimums. Now I am putting things off for as long as possible, taking my time shopping for an attorney, and putting money aside.
              This is us as well.

However, we have been getting TONS of mail. Good grief. Our mailbox is FULL each day.

I don't throw any of it out...for now, I just throw it in a box for safe keeping.

USAA and GEMB are the only one's that have left msgs. I have my cell phone set for any of those numbers to go straight to VM, which clearly states my name and to please leave a msg.

Comment

Originally posted by JEM View Post
                This is us as well.

However, we have been getting TONS of mail. Good grief. Our mailbox is FULL each day.

I don't throw any of it out...for now, I just throw it in a box for safe keeping.

USAA and GEMB are the only one's that have left msgs. I have my cell phone set for any of those numbers to go straight to VM, which clearly states my name and to please leave a msg.
                If you think this will keep the collectors from calling your relatives, friends and employer, think again. They will try all the tricks they have to harass you into paying them.
                Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

I did the same with the numbers. I have a VM stating the number, my name and to please leave a message. The robos left half a message telling me to press 1. So I do. Nothing happens.

I punched my name into Intelius and got 150 matches. The one that most closely resembles me has no one I know listed as relatives. No one has the same last name anymore. Any social networking I do is set to max privacy and I don't add strangers. (CAs have used hot chicks for skiptracing, and with much success. Of course, hot chicks do nothing for me.)

I don't think I ever used emergency contacts, and my home/work/cell number are one and the same. Not saying they can't find me, because they can. However, let 'em work for it. You can always BS family and friends.
                  First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

Originally posted by flyinbroke View Post
                    I did the same with the numbers. I have a VM stating the number, my name and to please leave a message. The robos left half a message telling me to press 1. So I do. Nothing happens.

I punched my name into Intelius and got 150 matches. The one that most closely resembles me has no one I know listed as relatives. No one has the same last name anymore. Any social networking I do is set to max privacy and I don't add strangers. (CAs have used hot chicks for skiptracing, and with much success. Of course, hot chicks do nothing for me.)

I don't think I ever used emergency contacts, and my home/work/cell number are one and the same. Not saying they can't find me, because they can. However, let 'em work for it. You can always BS family and friends.
                    How do we get signed up for this skip tracing plan?
                    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

All you have to do is:

1. Owe money.
                      2. Skip out on paying.
                      3. Blow off collectors.
                      4. Make Facebook or MySpace public and use your real name.

"Jenny" will come a-calling on you. She wants a piece of your....wallet. ;)

Comment

Cool. I don't use my full name on social networking and I have everything set to full max privacy too. And didn't even list my address or phone number on there at all anyway. Have you heard about the privacy concerns on the new google buzz? I had to go in there and disable all of that nonsense too.

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
                          If you think this will keep the collectors from calling your relatives, friends and employer, think again. They will try all the tricks they have to harass you into paying them.
                          Oh, I know it won't. Amex already called my FIL a month ago looking for my husband. To my knowledge, they haven't called again. FIL probably told them to pound sand and never to call again. He passed the msg on to dh and that was it.

I just meant that I don't have the time to answer 10zillion calls a day on my cell, so I send them straight to VM, and they are free to leave a msg, because it's clearly the correct number since it states my name.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X