top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trustee wants 2009 taxes - not done yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trustee wants 2009 taxes - not done yet.

Received a letter from our trustee in the mail with a list of documents to bring. Included on the list is "Tax returns for 2008 and 2009." My 2009 tax return isn't done yet - we just got all of the forms in the mail last week and will be delivering them all to the accountant on Monday. 341 meeting is Friday and the tax return won't be completed. Any suggestions on what I might provide to the trustee instead?

I faxed a copy of the letter to the attorney's office with this same question and haven't heard back. If they don't call me on Monday I'll call the trustee's office and ask. I'm trying to get all of this ready this weekend as next week will be CRAZY busy at work and the 341 is Friday.

Any input would be appreciated!

My TT (and I filed in late 2008) said they needed to be done by 2/15. If you weren't told that earlier and you well within your right to do them anytime before 4/15 there should be nothing he can say. He will probably give you a date like 3/15 to have it done by at the 341.
    New Orleans: Home to the World Champion Saints, the biggest enviromental disaster and the biggest natural disaster in the history of this nation. Proud to call it home!

Comment

The trustee emailed back and said the BK code requires that he have the 2009 return. He asked that we bring our income documentation to the meeting and provide the return when it's complete. My CPA said it would be about two weeks. Should be no problem at all.

Comment

We sent in our 2008 tax return but we don't have 2009 yet. We haven't gotten a request for 2009 from our trustee. Should we expect that he'll ask for it? It seems weird that he could request it before it's due to the IRS.
        Chapter 7 filed pro se, 2-16-10 - California
        no asset case
        341 meeting 3-18-10

Comment

It only requires they have the 2009 return if you filed in 2010. But, yes, there's fairly generous provision for them to just continue the 341 a while while you get your stuff together.

Comment

i think the code requires you to provide the most recent tax return you filed. in your case that's the 2008 return. but i guess some trustees make their own rules...
            filed ch7 May 09
            341 june 09
            discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Not for my 341, but for subsequent request I had a couple of weeks to come up with a CPA prepared draft 2009 tax return and declare that I found it true and correct. If I didn't come up with it, there would be an extn. Of course, I had to pay extra $ to rush a draft through.

Comment

Originally posted by spanky View Post
                We sent in our 2008 tax return but we don't have 2009 yet. We haven't gotten a request for 2009 from our trustee. Should we expect that he'll ask for it? It seems weird that he could request it before it's due to the IRS.
                We are out of Los Angeles too and were not asked for our 2009 taxes yet. We have our 341 on Wednesday.
                Stopped paying CCs 6/09
                Filed 1/10
                341 = 3/10
                6/22/2010 DISCHARGE!!

Comment

The letter we received was obviously a form letter - we got the same exact letter for both the business and personal cases. I suspect when he emailed he was not looking at the case file, just answering generally. At the 341 (last Friday) he glanced over the 2008 return, asked what kind of refund we expected for 2009, and then moved on. He did not specifically request at that meeting that we send in the 2009 return. Once it's complete I'll drop a copy off at the lawyer's office and see what they say to do.

Comment

I would have suggested that you provide a copy of 07 and 08 return, since they want the last 2 yrs filed. As you stated, the question comes up what type/amount of refund do you expect.... OR do you expect 09 refund to be the same as 08? If there is nothing there to get, the T'ee doesn't really care about the return. They simply want the refund, if it is of substance.

So you answer to the T'ees question about the 09 return was prolly not much $$$ expected?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X