What Happens To Charge Offs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Happens To Charge Offs

I'm looking at filing chapter 7 and have a appointment with a bankruptcy attorney on monday but I had a couple of questions I hope someone could answer.

I have a few charge off accounts on my credit report that are reporting a zero balance. (I never paid them but I heard they zero it out when they sell it to a collection agency- is that right?) Can I include them in bankruptcy- and if I can how does it appear on the report after? (Does is just say "included in bankruptcy" or does the charge off still appear)

Yes you can include them.

The original creditor normally puts a $0 balance when they sell it, because at that point you owe the debt buyer. List the original creditor and collection agencies/debt buyers - because its sometimes hard to know if you're dealing with a CA (working on behalf of the original creditor) or a debt buyer. Listing both helps to make sure all bases are covered.

Charged off accounts can still be included in bankruptcy. I think it is mostly just an accounting term for the original creditor.
    Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
    (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

All bad information on your credit report remain after filing BK. So if you are late on payments and this is reflected on your BK, it will still show you were late although the account will also show IIB.

Charge-offs I believe will work the same way. Although it should show a IIB, it will probably also show Charge off as well.

I would like to be wrong, but don't believe I am.
      8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
      11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

You have to include those accounts. Just because the debt was written off does not mean it was forgiven.
        Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X