Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To eBay or not to eBay???

Hi all,
    I just recently started selling some hand-made jewelry on ebay and i'm making a decent amount of $. I have been living rent-free for over 1 year now but my roommate got his hours cut and now needs me to help with the bills. I (should) have enough money at the end of each month to pay him around 400-500 a month in rent. His mortgage is just over 1K a month so I'd be paying half or near that. Do I need to write him a check that is traceable or can I just give him cash each month? Also, would that be considered "insider/preferential" payment since I am paying him rent but not making any payments on my credit cards? Also, am I doing myself a disservice at all by selling on ebay? I ask because I do not know if when I file if I have to include my income + my roommates which would throw me over the median amount. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

I have been living rent free also with my fiance's parents for the last few months. The attorney's office I met with said they would only look at my finance's income and not his parents because only my fiance and I share our expenses and have joint bank accounts. So, I would think if other than living rent free at the moment you don't use your roommate's income or assets they won't look at that. This is in Minnesota

I will also be moving for a job soon (I expect) and have to start paying rent. So they said they would consider rent a monthly expense even though I pay nothing now. I think it would only be considered preferential if you were paying him for back rent you owe prior to filing. If you are paying on say April 1st for Aptil's rent I think you are fine. Maybe someone else knows better on this.

So, I think you would be fine continuing to sell on Ebay, but I'm no expert. I would think you may be questioned as to why you are no longer selling on Ebay if you stop and why you no longer have that income.

Comment

Paying rent is a basic living expense, not a preferential payment. If you pay with cash, get a receipt that clearly states that it's for rent.
      Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
      0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X