Help with Chapter 7 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Chapter 7 questions

I am paid up on all my bills. But due to a divorce I will be in trouble when my only asset, a share of the marital home, sells. There is a REceiver who has spent a fortune lining his own pockets but producing no Buyers. Recently, he advised that the home, appraised at $1.5 million, was now a scrape-off worth less than $500,000. He then produced a Buyer, a friend of my ex's, who offered $645,000.
    I advised the REceiver that because of my share of debt on the home that this sale would force me into bankruptcy and I was thus going to buy out ex's 40% share at 40% of $645k plus my share of taxes and HELOC. But ex refused to sell to me, even tho he was willing to sell to the Buyer (aka friend). Even tho I explained that if I declared bankruptcy he'd get much less than if he took my buyout offer, ex has several houses and a $700,000 a year doctor's income (his wife is also a doc) so he doesn't care. But for me , this is the only home I have and my share is the only asset. The debt on the home is a small HELOC, attorney fee lien, lien by ex for court awarding him attorney fees (even tho I didn't have any money to hire my own attorney).

So...my questions:
    1. If I file, will the trustee figure equity based on the net sale price on the contract less all the loans and liens less homestead exemption OR based on my share of the sale price less my share of the liens and loans less homestead exemption? This is important because if the latter, then there is no equity and the house might be abandoned as an asset.

2. Ex says that he will get half of my homestead exemption. In Colorado, this is $90,000. He hasn't lived in the home since 2000 and has his own primary residence. Can he take half?

3. Alimony is exempt in my state from garnishment. It appears that it is also exempt from the trustee. So if my bank account is rich but all alimony money, can the trustee use it to pay unsecured debt?

4. Is there any way that the trustee might help me with my effort to buy out X's share of the house? The equity loan is current , so if it is considered abandoned, then I'd love to be able to buy out ex's share.

5. Unsecured debt: ex says I owe him $80,000. I have offsets but he keeps ignoring them. I also have 2 investment properties, one on a land installment contract payable on sale of my house, but unsecured. Are these business debts?
    I ask because I wonder if I need to take the means test because the debt on these two investments are over half of my unsecured debt.

Yes, I've called manyy bankruptcy attorneys but to date no one has been able to answer these questions definitively. I got a yes that my alimony is exempt from one, but mixed answers as to how the trustee might determine whether there is equity in the house or not. Anyone have any ideas? Or any recs for a good bk attorney in Colorado? I'm concerned that ex will do something to mess up my filing unless I do it soon.
    Thanks!
    CB

Sounds like your ex if pulling a fast one. Get an appraisal from a different person than the ones he's friends with.

Oh, and I would stop listening to your ex when it comes to legal matters. A homestead exemption is for the home you are living in. If neither of you are living in the home, neither of you can apply that to the house in question. If you are living there, it's yours. The two of you aren't married anymore.

I would list your ex as a creditor and list the offsets as assets. And consult with a few bankryptcy attornies. Make the person aware that you have a difficult ex who appears to want to make your life miserable.

Comment

I just saw this reply....thank you 'help' for responding. I live in the house, X hasn't for 10 years and has been an X for 7 years...so hopefully I can keep $90,000 from the sale. I may post elsewhere as circumstances have changed some, as follows:

The 'deal' for the $645k fell through, maybe because I threatened bankruptcy. But the Buyer said he's put in another contract for $600k ..the Receiver said he will accept this on Monday unless X and I come to agreement on my purchasing his share. He has a 40% share and I've offered him $237,000 but he insists I also agree not to ever sue him and since he refuses to give me my awarded share of the retirement fund, I'm certainly not willing to sign away any right like that. Since his name is on the HELOC loan, not mine, I doubt this is a secured debt against me, so he will probably have to pay off that debt in full when the house sells (and if I declare bankrptucy) and then come back to me for unsecured debt...In all, it's silly for him to NOT accept my offer, but he isn't going to.

The weird thing about the current offer is that it is a contingency until October 29, 2010. My house is off the market all that time and yet, if the Buyers don't sell their house, they can terminate with no penalty. Receiver offered a counter that if we get a higher offer, we can pay Buyer $20k to go away. This is just a stupid contract, but I was wondering if it might actually hlep me.

If I file for bankruptcy right away, then the Trustee would take over the asset
      and the Receiver would be gone, Right? He has been a pain and charged over $50k for wrecking my house and decreasing its value. (Refused to fix roof leaks and now I have water damage and mold.) I'm sure the trustee would market the house and maybe get more for it (It was listed at $1.3mil).

On the other hand, what happens if I wait until August and THEN file for bankrupcty? Would the Trustee still take over the house to save it from this low ball contract or would it let the low ball contract go through? In the meantime, there might be more levied against me in unsecured debt, but also X migiht try to get more of the unsecured debt into a judgment lien. Of course if there is any more debt put on the house, he won't get paid anyway because his are the last two judgment liens on the house at present.

I guess I should add that if I could buy out his share (with a loan from family) then I would live in the house and fix it up and sell it in years for well over its appraised value of $1.5 and then I'd have money to live on, after paying off secured debt, for the rest of me life If the sale goes through at $600,000, even with a $90k homestead, I am SOL

Sorry to be so longwinded; I just can't decide whether I should mail my petition in today or hold off. (Would it be bettter to stop the Receiver before he signs the contract or does it matter?)

Thanks so much for reading this and hopefully offering your opinions!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X