401K Withdrawl @ 341

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

401K Withdrawl @ 341

I have about 20K that I need to withdrawl from my 401K to buy 2 vehicles. We surrendered both of our vehicles in the chapter 7 and I plan on taking my 401K money and buying 2 vehicles for cash. Will the trustee get involved with this?

Also I'm not worried about tax implications due to my age being 25, plenty of time to start a new retirement account.

At my 341, my panel trustee and UST were very interested in my 401k withdrawal. Even called me into a separate room to discuss it at length.

Comment

I believe until your case is closed that your estate belongs to your trustee. There's a chance that if you buy 2 cars with cash while the trustee is in charge of your estate, that the trustee may be able to sell the 2 new cars and give your creditors the left-over money after paying you your exemptions.

I know if you inherit money after filing but before closing, there is a chance you could lose that money. Not sure if this is different.
      Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
      Attended 341 September 2010
      Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

Comment

I would wait until discharge/closing to do this. Otherwise I think the trustee could consider it part of your estate and give it to your creditors.

Comment

Originally posted by sadbutinneed View Post
          I would wait until discharge/closing to do this. Otherwise I think the trustee could consider it part of your estate and give it to your creditors.
          This makes the most sense. Being IN the 401k it is protected. Once it comes out it's just cash, or in your case an asset in the form of 2 cars.
          attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
          no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
          341, 05/10/2010
          discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

I would think that after you filed this money is yours to do with as you please. It is preotected by the BK so I can't see what using it after filing has to do with a 341 or closing or discharge. It is money needed to live on. Other choice is to leave it there and join the homeless on the street.

Comment

Originally posted by dakota112 View Post
              I would think that after you filed this money is yours to do with as you please. It is preotected by the BK so I can't see what using it after filing has to do with a 341 or closing or discharge. It is money needed to live on. Other choice is to leave it there and join the homeless on the street.

Correct. after filing is ok.
              Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

We are a No Asset Case, just waiting in the 60 day club. Right now we are borrowing a car from my parents but desperately will need two vehicles to get too & from work very soon.

Comment

You are moving exempt assets (401k) into potentially non-exempt assets (cars). This could cause the trustee to object to your exemptions. Do you have exemptions to the tune of $20k to cover the cars?
                  You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

If you can't use this money after a 341 meeting the same argument could be made that you can't use any money you come into such as earnings from a job or wages post 341. I can understand the life ins, inheritance issues for 6 months post filing.

Comment

I don't think it's a question of can you use that money for cars, it's yours to use. I think the question is the timing. Ask your attorney.
                      attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
                      no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
                      341, 05/10/2010
                      discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

Originally posted by dakota112 View Post
                        If you can't use this money after a 341 meeting the same argument could be made that you can't use any money you come into such as earnings from a job or wages post 341. I can understand the life ins, inheritance issues for 6 months post filing.
                        The trustee can still object to exemptions after the 341 meeting. If 20k of assets are going from exempt to non-exempt, that could cause the trustee to object to the OP's exemptions and end up costing them money.

Comment

So if you have had your 341, and in the 60 day club how does the TT no you made withdrawals from an IRA or 401 before the closing or for that matter after the closing? And what happens if they were to find out because you told them but by than you had spent this money to survive? Many folks are in severe shape financially by the time they get to this 341 and it really comes down to do you use this retirement fund now or go into the streets while it sits there for 30 more years. Not everyone has family to help them through this.

Comment

The trustees regularly run asset reports as part of their discovery. If two cars suddenly show up in an asset report, then the trustee will go after them. Cars have to be licensed, registered, etc and trustee's run reports to find such assets. My trustee checked the balances of all my retirement accounts to see if I withdrew anything. If I had withdrawn anything, then that money would have been attachable by him.

To convert exempt assets to non-exempt assets before discharge is very risky. You may get away with it, but if the trustee runs a report and finds assets not listed or exempt, that will be a red flag and could end up costing you money and even a discharge.

Comment

What I don't understand from this discussion is why would the TT even care what you did with your 401 or IRA once the 341 is over and you are already bankrupt. Those funds couldn't be used prior to filing as they would for many have put them over the median, now you are past the 6 month look back and poor as dirt while this game is being played out and you have to wait? I think in the end if it comes down to a roof over your head and food , you have to do what ever it takes to survive. I was told the only thing they are interested in after the filing is inheritances and life insurance up to 6 months.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X