Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emmigration to "discharge" non-dischargeable debts

Here's an interesting solution to folks who can't get debts discharged:

The Daily Vidette, Illinois State University’s college newspaper, reports today that some students are fleeing the country to avoid mounting student loan debt.  It’s an interesting stor…

Ironically, I will be getting my debts discharged AND looking to basically emigrate.

An interesting idea!

Ironically, I'm looking at doing the same as you. The US bankruptcy doesn't stop them coming after me in European courts but, frankly, I'd be astonished if they did bother, especially if they did it before the statute of limitations on debt in the relevant countries expired. I don't plan on being easily found. Last time we lived overseas, there was no effective collection action against us.

Comment

Living abroad, I was still required to file US taxes (although the threshold for paying taxes was pretty high). They would just not renew your passport if you moved abroad and hadn't filed taxes. I'm not sure if they wouldn't renew it because of defaulted student loans.
      Get as many transcripts as possible or have your degree recognized during the bankruptcy proceedings before you leave. That being said, the only way I could even finish college was when I moved to Europe (and university was actually affordable without ANY loans).

I'm starting to think after this is over, I should start saving up enough to go back to Europe (fortunately I still have that second passport) to really get a second chance.
      Chapter 13 Filed Nov 12, 2009
      Converted to Chapter 7
      341 Meeting December 29, 2009
      Tentative Discharge March 1, 2010

Comment

If you can manage to get citizenship in Canada, student loans are dischargeable there after they are 10 years old. The U.S. and Canada recognize each other's cross border insolvencies.

So you can get a bankruptcy in Canada and discharge your student loans under Canadian law even if they were contracted in the U.S.

When and if you come back to the U.S., a U.S. bankruptcy court would recognize and enforce your Canadian discharge.

So-- what you need is a nice Canadian boy/girl friend (it doesn't matter which since Canada recognizes same sex marriages) to marry you into instant Canadian citizenship. Then you file bankruptcy there and presto!, no more student loan debts. You can start here: http://www.loveawake.com/free-online...g-service.html

Be careful though, you must really love him/her and not just be entering into what the law refers to as a "marriage of convenience". That would be illegal.
        Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X