Paying Bills Pre-and-Post Filing, Automatic Payments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying Bills Pre-and-Post Filing, Automatic Payments

Ok, surprise, surprise, the law firm is taking way longer than they said it would take to file. If I'm lucky, we'll get it done next week.

Meanwhile, I have rent due this coming Monday. If we file before the rent check has cleared my credit union checking account (highly likely), will that be a problem? I also have about five autopays on the checking account for gas, electricity, auto insurance, cable TV, etc. I don't owe the credit union any money and am not defaulting on anything. All the funds in checking will be exempt.

The only thing that concerns me is that the debit card I use at the credit union has a Visa logo on it. I AM defaulting on a Bank of America Visa card, but that probably isn't related to the debit card at the credit union, correct?

If the funds are available to pay the auto payments now, I'd pay them. There's no harm in paying early and it will clear that money out of your account. (I did this last month)

Can you pay rent with cash instead of writing that check? Maybe a trip to see your landlord would be worth it. Just a thought.

Hope your filing goes smoothly!
    attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
    no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
    341, 05/10/2010
    discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

Originally posted by ApresMoi View Post
      The only thing that concerns me is that the debit card I use at the credit union has a Visa logo on it. I AM defaulting on a Bank of America Visa card, but that probably isn't related to the debit card at the credit union, correct?
      Correct. Having the Visa or Mastercard logo on your debit card only means you can use it at places that accept those cards, it processes like a credit card transaction. They are not connected to other Visa or Mastercards you are defaulting on in any way.
      attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
      no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
      341, 05/10/2010
      discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

Either get a money order for the rent or pay it in cash.

Comment

I can't get a money order in time. I did not deposit my unemployment check, as I did not want money sitting in the account (subject to seizure). Instead, I planned to deposit it on the same day I wrote the rent check. So the rent is due Monday, and there is not enough money in the account to get a money order. I can deposit the check today, but again, not enough funds will be immediately available to get a money order today. The rent check has to be mailed today, to reach them on the due date, otherwise they tack on a hefty late fee. So, basically, I waited too late to ask this question. I actually sent a query to the law firm but it was late on a Friday and I did not get a reply. I have also searched this forum to see what others have been told. The checking account funds will be exempt, that's not the problem. I just do not want a) the landlord to know and/or b) there to be any holdup in the payment of my rent if a trustee has to approve it in any way. Again, I should have asked this question sooner.

Comment

If the funds in your bank account are exempt, then it's not a problem. You're allowed to pay rent and other basic living expenses without the trustee's permission. The only issue would be the cash-on-hand being too high, but since you said everything in your bank account is exempt, you're fine!
            Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
            0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

Bless your socks. Wish I'd seen this in time yesterday to make the mail pickup. I held off because I simply did not know what else to do. I will make out the rent check and get it in the mail today. It should arrive one, at the most two, days late, so I doubt they will demand the late fee.

I started panicking yesterday after I realized that we're probably going to file next week, and that I had not clarified the issue of checking account use with the attorney! I emailed her yesterday but she did not get back to me (understandable, it's the weekend).

Thanks SOO much. It's a big relief not to have to concern myself with this.

Originally posted by momofthree View Post
              If the funds in your bank account are exempt, then it's not a problem. You're allowed to pay rent and other basic living expenses without the trustee's permission. The only issue would be the cash-on-hand being too high, but since you said everything in your bank account is exempt, you're fine!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X