top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will I ever be able to get a security clearance again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will I ever be able to get a security clearance again?

I was browsing Wikipedia about the "Nuclear Football" when I happened upon the article about security clearances. As someone who formerly has held a Secret clearance, I am wondering that with a Chapter 7 on my record, if I would ever be able to get that clearance again. My last well paid gig was one in which I had that clearance, and with all the foreigners on the H1B visa taking away all the possible gigs, it seems that the only way I could possibly earn a good income is by getting a clearance again.

Having a BK doesn't prevent you for getting clearance. It depends on the nature of the work you are doing and the clearance you need. It's very much a case by case situation.
    So the poor debtor, seeing naught around him
    Yet feels the narrow limits that impound him
    Grieves at his debt and studies to evade it
    And finds at last he might as well have paid it.

Comment

It's not usually the fact that you filed bankruptcy which causes a problem for a security clearance, it is what you did that created the liabilities for which you want to discharge that can cause the problem. i.e. if they are recent problems there might be an issue.

William
      I am an attorney, but I am just not your attorney.
      As such, any statement is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship.

Comment

Short Answer, yes.

Bankruptcy is a "factor" but it is never viewed as the make or break. As others have pointed out, if it becomes an issue at all, the more important factors are the circumstances leading up to the BK, not the BK itself. Realize, BK actually solves the underlying financial challenges that make you a riskier candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
          Short Answer, yes.

Bankruptcy is a "factor" but it is never viewed as the make or break. As others have pointed out, if it becomes an issue at all, the more important factors are the circumstances leading up to the BK, not the BK itself. Realize, BK actually solves the underlying financial challenges that make you a riskier candidate.
          True, by not having the big debt, I am not as much at risk from a foreign agent offering me a cash bribe for espionage.

This reminds me of when I first got my clearance back in the dying days of the Cold War in the late 80's. We were told that there were reports of attractive Eastern European women who would hang out at the nearby bars looking for men wearing badges with the red dot (which signified a Secret clearance), offering a "non-cash" bribe for espionage. I wonder what they had meant.

Comment

What about Federal jobs in general?

Comment

Originally posted by qsr View Post
              What about Federal jobs in general?
              I believe federal jobs (actually any government jobs) cannot discriminate based on bankruptcy

Comment

I was told flat out by a Federal recruiter that my bankruptcy would make me ineligible for a position I was interested in.

I was also told by a local defense contractor that I was a very strong candidate (also for a job requiring clearance) ... until they learned of my bankruptcy.

I've heard it's possible to get or maintain clearance with a bankruptcy on one's record, but from the point of view of hiring, I've actually now stopped applying for that sort of position. I'm fed up of hearing "no".

Comment

Well that sucks. What if you already work for the Federal Gov. and then you file BK? Is the job you have at risk??

Comment

No....unless you hold a job an agency that deals with financial. One thing that is said in the Fed Govt is you have to "maintain" your background or clearance.

"The language of the statute regarding governmental employees states that the government :

[M]ay not . .. deny employment to, terminate the employment of, or discriminate with respect to employment against a person that is or has been a debtor under this title or a bankrupt or a debtor under the Bankruptcy Act or another person with whom such bankrupt has been associated "
                    Last edited by starkx2; 03-17-2010, 11:41 AM.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X