Am I going to make it through this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I going to make it through this?

Okay here's the deal and I am just venting and letting it all out other wise I may have a complete meltdown so thanks in advance for listening to my rant
    We are filing CH 7 hopefully in the next 2 months (as soon as we get our tax refund and pay off the lawyer) and it can't come fast enough for me. We are over 100K in unsecured debt right now which is awful in itself and the guilt of not paying my bills is starting to crush me. I know deep down my husband blames me for this although he says he doesn't. Creditors are calling and most have been decent except for the one today that basically said I am a loser and it is people like me who run up their cards and then don't pay that is making the economy tank. Like I don't feel bad enough already! I never used the cards intending not to pay but life happens and we are a family of 6 living on one paycheck and just trying to live and if I had extra money to pay I would. I am so worried that something will go wrong even though I am not trying to hide anything and my lawyer assures me all is fine. I am just a worry wart and super emotional so thanks again for reading my ramble.

Why talk to them?

If you're going to be filing anyway. Maybe let their calls go to voicemail.
    If any of them issues a court summons you can answer it pro se and get a court date which will be far enough ahead so it won't even get heard.
    Concentrate now in getting your pre-BK ducks and lawyer lined up.
    All IMO of course. But don't talk to the creditors. No point if you're filing soon

Comment

We stopped paying most of our cards in January except for one and I had all our phone calls routed to VM. I have never taken a single call from a creditor. We plainly stated on the VM message our names, our numbers, and that they have reached us. Most numbers were unknowns and eventually started getting real people calling. We knew we'd be filing relatively soon so I didn't see any point in the creditors making us feeling worse than we already did! So, I agree with the PP. If you know you're going to file soon, route the calls to VM! It's not worth the stress.

Everyone has their own opinions.. some say talk to them and some say don't! I don't it depends on how long it will be before you file...

But - that's just my opinion

I'm sorry you're under so much stress. I know where you are coming from though - we are a family of 7 on one paycheck. It's very hard. You will make it There is a light at the end of the tunnel... I'm patiently waiting for that light too!
      Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
      Statement of Presumed abuse filed 707(b) 05/03
      Statement of Non-Abuse filed!!
      Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

I actually made a game of the collection calls, but if thats not you I'd advise applying for a google voice phone number.

You can have specific voicemail greetings for everyone, and also block calls, etc. It puts you in control of your phone.

If you want to get one go to this link: https://services.google.com/fb/forms/googlevoiceinvite/

I would however open a GMAIL account which will coincide with your google number. If you have the gmail acct you will get your number faster. Right now its running about two weeks from the date you request one to the day you actually get it. Here's a link for the email acct: www.mail.google.com

We haven't payed a CC since Aug with no problems. We plan on filing in March or early April.

You will get through this and best of luck!
        ==================================
        Filed: 4-30-2010
        341 Complete: 6-16-2010
        Discharged and Closed 8/17/2010

Comment

Thank you all for your responses. I haven't really talked to many of the creditors and I have decided now that I will not talk to any more of them. I only talked to this one because he got my husbands cell # he uses at work and my husband didn't want them to call that number again so hopefully now that they have the lawyer info they won't!
          I know that things will work out eventually and life will be ok but some days it just gets to me so thank you again for reading and responding, I appreciate the guidance and support more than I can express

Comment

We too signed up for Google voice per advice from the forum, and it was GREAT! They give you a number, and then you go into all your CC accounts and change the number on your account info and once we did it, the calls to our home number, virtually stopped. Once we notified them that we were filing, they also stopped calling. Once we filed, they completely stopped. Go to your states federal bankruptcy website to get a list of good attorneys who specialize in bk as well.

Comment

One thing I failed to mention, if you don't get a Google Voice # get a recorder to record any call you have with creditors. It could pay off with money in your pocket if the calls get worse.
              ==================================
              Filed: 4-30-2010
              341 Complete: 6-16-2010
              Discharged and Closed 8/17/2010

Comment

A collector's best path to success is to provoke emotion. Collectors commonly infuse guilt and fear into conversations to trigger profitable reactions.

BK filers are statistically insignificant compared to the overall population. How much damage did you personally cause our economy? Our nation is critically in debt. Your measly $100k didn't create economic collapse. However, your debt is keeping collectors in business. Should you receive another call from this "loser" lasher, remind him he has a job because of you. There's your payback.

Money and morality don't mix. You're making a business decision for your family. Large corporations enjoy BK protection. Big banks receive bailouts. You're simply following current trends.
                *Filed: September 23, 2009 *341: November 4, 2009 *Discharged: January 4, 2010 *Closed: January 20, 2010

Hakuna Matata...it means NO WORRIES!

Comment

HakunaMatata- Thanks so much for the post It has made me feel better. I do need to keep my emotions out of this and I do pretty well most of the time but today is just one of those days.
                  Thanks again you have brightened my day all of you!

Comment

I agree with the google voice.. that's what we have
                    Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
                    Statement of Presumed abuse filed 707(b) 05/03
                    Statement of Non-Abuse filed!!
                    Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X