No announcement yet.

Disaster strikes shortly after 341

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First, I am very sorry to hear about your pain and struggles. Having just lost my mother to cancer back in December, my heart goes out to you.

The exemption is determined as of the date of the filing. If the insurance was still in the form of insurance, and it is exempt in your state, and your attorney properly took the exemption, then you will be all set.

Also, since it is now beyond 30 days, if the Trustee did not object to the exemption, he CANNOT object now. Again, you will be all set. This is even if the Trustee had a valid reason to object. In effect, for the Trustee - you snooze, you lose.

The one issue that can arise (which is pretty much moot now that you're beyond the 30 day limit for the Trustee to object to your exemption) is when you *think* that the property is exempt, and it turns out it's not, and you go and start spending it. If the Trustee were to then object to the exemption and win, then you've got a problem because you've gone out and spent property of the estate, which can lead to nondischargeability issues.

But I only point that out to be thorough in the response. Again, you're beyond the limit to object to any claim of exemptions. The Trustee can't do squat. If the Trustee filed the no-asset report in your case then you're really golden because that is tantamount to the Trustee's abandonment of the property, which means you can do what you want with it.

Comment

such great advice

Thank you for your explanation, BnkrptcyLwyr. It is very helpful, because you know in the back of my head, I was still worrying. The trustee did file a no-asset report, so your information on that really helps.
      I don't know if our lawyer made the life insurance exempt, it never came up in any conversations, that I recall. Truthfully, it never would have occurred to me to mention it, it was just another deduction from the paycheck. It wasn't hidden in any way, and our lawyer knew about it, so I'll continue to try not to worry.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X