Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need to answer the CC phonecalls?

Hi,

I havent been answering the credit card company phone calls. I need a couple months to file, haven't paid on Chase or BoA since Sept 09. Heard some things about court summons in CA which has got me spooked.

Should I answer the phone? Should I stall somehow? Are there other ways of stalling?

As things get down to the wire I am getting worried about lots of things.

thanks,

Mr. Moneypenny

If you're 100% positive you're filing, know you qualify etc, and are just waiting to pay the attorney, I'd answer the calls and tell them you're filing "soon". They don't HAVE to stop calling you but most will think it's a waste of time and you'll get less calls. Ask your attorney if that is an okay strategy.

(This is what we did but we only needed 3 weeks to come up with the retainer so it worked.)
    attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
    no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
    341, 05/10/2010
    discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

hi thanks,

i am pretty far from having enough for a retainer so cant ask the lawyer yet. I dont mind getting the calls-- it's not about that-- i am worried about being served.

i need time. could not answering reduce the time it might take to get served? can answering and saying the right things stall them, string them out?

i dont plan on telling them i am filing yet, nor promise any money

Mr. mp

Comment

You might want to pick up the phone every once in awhile to let them know you are still alive because if they can't reach you, they might start calling friends (those 'references' you put down on applications ), neighbors and family members....just my opinion

I wasn't able to file for a whole year but I picked up the phone and told them that I intended on filing once I finished paying my attorney.
        May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
        May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
        May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
        9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Yes, they WILL call friends and your MOMMY. They called mine. Doo dee doo (looking at the ceiling)... I'm 40 years old and my parents don't need to know my business, at least not yet.

I told my mom to be careful about talking to people like that over the phone because there are lots of scams out their that try to take advantage of old folks.

I'm sure they know something's up and after I DO tell them they'll act like they knew it all along.

I say DON'T answer the phone unless you are planning to pay them back. Go into the COLLECTIONS forum on this site and go to the 7th sticky down the list titled Debt Collector's Manual. Open the pdf file in that post. If you scan down to page 30 in that file, it shows you a chart of what might could be expected from a collection agency.

If you look at this chart carefully, it might give you some ideas as to how you can prolong the collections process to your benefit. A friend with a forwarding address could possibly help you run it in circles for a while with returned mail and such. Once you do start responding, take full advantage of your time limits.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X