top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not following through with CC SETLEMENTS affect BK filing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not following through with CC SETLEMENTS affect BK filing?

Let say you've negotiated acceptable settlements with some of the CCs but not with the others and because of this inability to settle with all, you do not go through with any of the settlements and file Ch7 instead.

Does this have any effect on filing?

No affect.

Comment

What he said

No effect at all.

Comment

Thanks for your quick replies.

Also, there was a message in the regular statement from one of the CC, saying "if you pay at least $xx, (which was much less than the minimum balance due at this point), your account will not fall further behind, even though it will remain past due".

Is it a good idea making this small payment to maybe slow their phone calls or to delay the possibility of charge-off and selling to CA?

Comment

If bk is the endgame, stop paying all debts that will be discharged. It's just money down the proverbial rathole.

Comment

Agreed. A token payment just means less money for you to move forward.

Comment

Your only concern here is preferential payments to any one or more creditors, if you made some attempt at settlement and recent payments prior to filing. Pymts wihtin 90 days would be considered pref pymts and TT may go after those creditors or ask for that amount of $$ from you to void the preference shown.

Other than that, no problems disch all of these in Bk 7. It will be as if those discussion never took place.

Comment

Thanks again to all.

I'm still struggling with the idea of filing, but don't really see a way out.

I thought of trying to settle with the tax refund that I will be getting, but doubt it will be anywhere close to being enough to settle with all, so may use the money for the long overdue structural repairs on the house.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X