Automatic Payments of CC on Checking Acct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic Payments of CC on Checking Acct

How do I stop automatic payments to creditors? These payments were set up so that they could decrease the interest on them. I dont think I can call them and tell them to stop because I am filing BK...or can I?

I need to stop as they are bleeding me dry. Its about $900 going out each month and I cant afford it.

I put a stop payment on my automatic cc payments. I also switched banks. If you don't owe the bank where your checking/savings accounts are money, you can close the current account and open a new one at the bank.

Comment

I just closed the account where the auto drafts were coming out of and opened a new checking account at an entirely different bank.
      Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
      Statement of Presumed abuse filed 707(b) 05/03
      Statement of Non-Abuse filed!!
      Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

I canceled my auto payments online and deleted my banking info from each CC account. Then I closed my checking because we had a CC from that bank and opened a new one. And don't give your new account number to any cc companies!
        attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
        no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
        341, 05/10/2010
        discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

Boy, dont I know it. The one thing I wished I had learned here was to close out my bank account and move to a new bank FIRST.
          Unfortunately it was WF that taught me that lesson (and are still teaching).
          03/25/10: filed BK13, 05/05/10: 341 completed,
          06/24/10: confirmed (7% to unsecured)

Comment

Thanks for your replies..but its not like I set those automatic payments..the banks did themselves so that they could lower the interest rates.

I am just wondering if I could call them and tell them to stop the payments because I can no longer afford the payments. If I could go to the cc websites and close the automatic payments I would...but mine are different.

Comment

Then your best bet is to close the account and switch banks.

Comment

Hi, Homebody.
                We just went through the same thing last week after talking to our lawyer (we didn't file/are going to end of month or begining of next for a chapter 13). Citi & chase both had us in hardship programs w/lower interest and payments being deducted out of our account. We called both last week & told them to stop ASAP. We didn't tell them we were filing; just gave an excuse & told them that checking account was closed/being closed. They deleted the payment info and stopped the auto pays. We are closing are current checking account (have already opened a new one at a new bank)- but had to wait to get the check order in (came Sat) so my husband can change his payroll check direct deposit to our new bank. Old account will be closed this week.
                I wish you & all the rest of us, the best.

Comment

If they are using your debit card number you can cal the bank saying that you lost the card and need a new one. The number will change and the auto charges won't work. Otherwise, cancel the auto payments and change banks.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X