Brokerage accounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brokerage accounts

Does the trustee look at what's in the brokerage account on the date of filing like they do checking accounts?

The reason I ask is I might end up having to file sooner than I expected and I'll be waiting for tax refunds. One in check form but the other electronically deposited. I wondered if I had it sent to a brokerage account instead of the checking account and by chance it got deposited on the same date of filing if it would be safe?

Also, if you use an exemption to cover cash, does it matter if it's in a checking account or not?

It doesn't matter if money is in your checking account, brokerage account or under your mattress - you have to disclose what you have on the date you file.

Ask your attorney about the exemptions for cash and if your refund can be exempted in your filing. It doesn't matter where the cash is located to be exempted.
    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

Thanks for confirming that for me!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X