top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many years of tax return is required for filing C7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many years of tax return is required for filing C7?

The NOLO book says one year, the most recent; the lawyer I interviewed wants 5 years, and I had read in this board that 3 years is required and the trustee may request even more years back.

Is NOLO correct that I only need to have one year of tax return?

Is there any specific requirements of tax returns? i.e. is the xerox copy acceptable, or it must be original copies from IRS? NOLO book states the transcript is acceptable, but if I can use the xerox copy I would like to use that to make things simpler.

Thanks!

Originally posted by user33 View Post
    The NOLO book says one year, the most recent; the lawyer I interviewed wants 5 years, and I had read in this board that 3 years is required and the trustee may request even more years back.

Is NOLO correct that I only need to have one year of tax return?

Is there any specific requirements of tax returns? i.e. is the xerox copy acceptable, or it must be original copies from IRS? NOLO book states the transcript is acceptable, but if I can use the xerox copy I would like to use that to make things simpler.

Thanks!
    Our district wanted 3 years. Your attorney is stating what he/she wants probably because that is what they are seeing in your district.

Photo copies of our returns were fine.
    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

I was only required to provide two years of tax returns and photocopies were acceptable.
      Chapter 7 filed December 11, 2009, 341 Meeting held on January 7, 2010
      Deadline to File a Complaint: March 8, 2010

Discharged and Closed March 11, 2010

Comment

Atty is likely mentioning 5 yrs b/c that is as far back as they will go, worse case. But the answer is, you need as many yrs returns as your TT asks for. Most TT's that I have seen want 2 yrs of returns unless there is an irregularity.

This would be easy enough to check once your have a TT assigned by going to that TT's cases over the past 2 to 3 months in Pacer and see what is requested... OR attend a couple of 341 meetings of your TT and see what is requested. I would highly recommend this anyway, by anyone filing and once the TT is assigned.

Comment

Originally posted by DebtHater View Post
          I was only required to provide two years of tax returns and photocopies were acceptable.
          Same here, but we did have to provide copies of the attachments as well.
          Filed Ch.7 on 03/17
          Statement of Presumed abuse filed 707(b) 05/03
          Statement of Non-Abuse filed!!
          Discharged 06/23/10

Comment

Originally posted by Mensa1 View Post
            Atty is likely mentioning 5 yrs b/c that is as far back as they will go, worse case. But the answer is, you need as many yrs returns as your TT asks for. Most TT's that I have seen want 2 yrs of returns unless there is an irregularity.

This would be easy enough to check once your have a TT assigned by going to that TT's cases over the past 2 to 3 months in Pacer and see what is requested... OR attend a couple of 341 meetings of your TT and see what is requested. I would highly recommend this anyway, by anyone filing and once the TT is assigned.
            Thank you very much for the tips! I will follow your advice to attend at least once 341 meeting of my TT to myself familiar with the process and the TT.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X